Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we talk defensive boxing for a bit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk defensive boxing for a bit?

I know that Floyd Mayweather JR is a "defensive wizard" or "master of defense" and when I watch other fighters try to be defensive, they dont look half as good or efficient as he does. It's almost like Floyd Mayweather has armor around him thats practically impenetrable.

Though, I can't seem to find other boxers who have AS good defensive skills if not better. Only other person I can come up with is Pernell Whitaker and he was really elusive more than reflective or blocking. Call me new but I'm here to learn.

So who else can there be? What makes em stand out too?

it's all about finding the right opponents to make you look good. sometimes you miscalculate and get roughed up by a castillo or judah but you take note of that and you don't see floyd fighting southpaws or dangerous pressure fighters anymore. even the face first one dimensional brawler pac had much better defense against common opponents delahoya, hatton, and mosley and no one calls him a defensive wizard. if you don't choose your opponents wisely you will suffer the consequences, look bad and possibly lose.

Comment

Winky Wright at his best
      didn't have fancy defense eluding punches
      he just blocked, but he was great at it
      he could defend brilliantly and press the fight simultaneously
      hard to break through his guard
      hard to get between or under his elbows to the body
      Winky a great defensive fighter and pressure fighter in one
      very accurate with his offense too

Comment

Hopkins is a different style but he rarely gets hit cleanly. Flush. In most of his fights, I'd say opponents land 20 solid shots AT MOST. In his prime, you could count those shots on two hands.

Whitaker is up there. You can look into Willie Pep as well. Old timer, but a great defensive fighter.

Winky Wright in his prime was VERY hard to hit clean. Few fighters had a chance of landing in any major way facing him in his prime. When he was at his peak, you had virtually no chance of knocking him out.

Chris Byrd could be very elusive in his prime. Joan Guzman as well. All I got for you right now.

Comment

how many rounds did Roy lose in his prime?
          almost none
          he carried a lot of guys, but still didn't do just enough to win
          he beat the daylights out of his opponents and clowned on them
          he frustrated guys with his countering speed
          once they were frozen, he'd start leading more and rip them up
          another defensive guy who still punished his opponents
          elusive but not boring defensive guy, very entertaining

Comment

watch a joan guzman fight, dude was telepathic, incredible reflexes

Comment

If you are new to the sport go youtube a fighter named Winky Wright hes a more current fighter with a completly different defensive style than Floyd but just as effective. One of the best defensive fighters I have ever seen. Also :

Charley Burley
              Willie Pep
              James Toney
              A Prime Tyson
              Jersey Joe
              Herol Graham
              Benny Leonard
              Niccolino Locche
              Archie Moore
              Bernard Hopkins

Hers a nice vid for you:

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about James Toney. Incredible talent.

Comment

Originally posted by RightStraight View Post
                  I know that Floyd Mayweather JR is a "defensive wizard" or "master of defense" and when I watch other fighters try to be defensive, they dont look half as good or efficient as he does. It's almost like Floyd Mayweather has armor around him thats practically impenetrable.

Though, I can't seem to find other boxers who have AS good defensive skills if not better. Only other person I can come up with is Pernell Whitaker and he was really elusive more than reflective or blocking. Call me new but I'm here to learn.

So who else can there be? What makes em stand out too?
                  look for some footage of nicolino locce... i feel you will do some serious reconsiderations after watching...

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. I've recently been watching Bernard Hopkins and Pernell Whitaker fights. I heard of Winky Wright and James Toney but never watched any of their fights.

Though I'm going to go check this out. I had a question though, what is it that Floyd does that separates him apart from all other possible defensive fighters, as the best one?

Comment

Working...
                    X