Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its a combination of things like speed momentum all that stuff that was mentioned, but all that dont mean much if when you land your punch you dont stiffen and clench your body ad much as possible for the most solid impact possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post

Heres one for handspeed too
      Thanks for your generosity bro its much apreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
        Transfer energy from the legs and lower body, up and out into the punches, like a coiled spring snapping out.

Natural flexibility of the body and fast-twitch muscle fibers are probably important. In track & field, the athletes with fast-twitch muscles always win the sprinting races, while slow-twitch athletes have good endurance and conservation of energy, and win the long-distance races.

It's not that much different in boxing. Most natural punchers want to finish the fight as quickly as possible, knocking the opponent out in the early rounds, more of a "sprint." The technical boxer wants to make it a "long race" by conserving energy and using patience to pick his shots, wear down the opponent and win on points.

Killer instinct helps a lot. Just watch the early fights of Mike Tyson where he's leaping into his opponents like a killer lunging at a victim with a knife. His punches are going so deep, like he's going for the heart. Technical boxers don't act that way, they're just "tagging" and scoring points, almost as if the opponent is made of stone and they don't want to hurt their hands on him by punching too hard.
        This isn't exactly correct. The "coiled spring" analogy fails in part because of the ending. When you tell someone to coil up and explode, you're doing them a disservice because knockout power comes as much from the ending of the punch as it does the beginning. Sure, you unwind the coil, but you also have to stay completely relaxed until just before impact, where you then tighten your fist, your wrist, the elbow, the shoulder, the hips all at sequential intervals. This is where the "snap" is generated. It involves over a dozen small instructions at different areas of the body, and it's not as simple as "pivot off the rear foot, turn the hips, explode like a coil."

You keep telling someone the coil analogy, and they'll never fully understand how to punch with knockout power.

Comment

Punching power is a term that describes the amount of momentum in a person's punches. Knockout power is a more specific term for the probability of any strike to the head to cause unconsciousness in an opponent, usually referred to as a knockout, or King-Hit in Australian English. Knockout power is related to the impulse delivered and precision of the strike.
          In order to increase the mass behind a punch, it is essential to move the body as a unit throughout the punch. Power is generated from the ground up, such that force from the ankles transfers to the knees; force from the knees transfers to the thighs; force from the thighs transfers to the core; from the core to the chest; from the chest to the shoulders; from the shoulders to the forearms and finally the compounded force transfers through the fist into an opponent. So the most powerful punchers are able to connect their whole body and channel the force from each portion of the body into a punch.
          Generally, there are 5 components to punching power that must be present for a puncher to be considered truly powerful: lack of arm punching, proper weight shifting, stepping during a punch, pivoting with a punch, and using proper footwork
          This body connection requires the development of a strong core. The core is perhaps the most important element in a powerful punch, since it connects the powerhouse of the legs to the delivery system of the arms. Basic core conditioning exercises include abdominal crunches, situps and leg raises......GuNzZ

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
            I think it's something you're born with. Some guys I know that are natural athletes and are very strong for some reason just can't punch for ****.

I've been a big puncher since I can remember. I've been punching everything since I was a little kid. Walls, pillows, curtains, leaves from a tree, my shadow, anything I can hit without getting In trouble. before I ever went to a gym or got a bag, I would put my mattress on the Wall and hit that for hours.

Punching just feels right to me and I know how to use my body's maximum leverage and momentum to put all my weight into a punch, it's just something I do without thinking.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            Cool story hahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
            X