Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
    Pretty much hit it right on the button.

Also:

• Canelo Alvarez outlanded Miguel Cotto 155-129 and had a higher connect percentage (32 percent to Cotto's 21 percent).

• Entering the fight, Alvarez was landing 49 percent of power punches, third-highest among active fighters. He landed 40 percent of power punches against Cotto (118-of-298). Cotto landed 75-of-255 for 29 percent.
    That'd be assuming CompuBox were accurate. According to Compubox, Cotto missed more than 85% of his jabs. Does that sound believable? As I said earlier, if Compubox were indeed correct, then the fight wouldn't have even been close. Cotto wouldn't have been able to even stop Canelo from knocking him out.

When I watched this fight, I didn't agree with how some saw Canelo win. I scored it just like the Mexican media did, 117-111 for Cotto. I disagreed with but understood the theory that Canelo was supposedly so much stronger that his punches should count quadruple (I guess), but in no way can I even come close to a theory in which Canelo was the busier, more accurate fighter.

No way. It's just not there.

Again, if it had been the case that Cotto were missing practically all of his jabs, he would've been destroyed. The evidence doesn't add up in any way.
    Last edited by SunSpace; 05-05-2016, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Pretty much hit it right on the button.

Also:

• Canelo Alvarez outlanded Miguel Cotto 155-129 and had a higher connect percentage (32 percent to Cotto's 21 percent).

• Entering the fight, Alvarez was landing 49 percent of power punches, third-highest among active fighters. He landed 40 percent of power punches against Cotto (118-of-298). Cotto landed 75-of-255 for 29 percent.
      You are kidding right? Compubox? A human ran system. That count anything not to the head as a power punch. come on man.

Comment

I had it 7-5 in favour of Cotto. Cotto was slipping and at least partially blocking a lot of punches thrown by Canelo so I doubt the compubox numbers if i'm honest

Comment

It's fair to score a fight for a guy who lands the more telling blows. Canelo landed clean right hands that froze Cotto in his tracks. To the face and the body. The best punches Cotto landed were jabs and soft right hands. Some of the right hands snapped Canelo's head back, but it wasn't enough to see it effected Canelo. Cotto had some nice body work. I thought he should have thrown more body punches and tried more uppercuts up stairs.

Similar to the Mayweather fight he put up a good effort just not enough. In this case I think he was too small instead of just not skilled enough. If you take away Cotto's left hook above 147, Cotto just isn't that strong.

Comment

Originally posted by BucaRican View Post
            You are kidding right? Compubox? A human ran system. That count anything not to the head as a power punch. come on man.
            Even if it wasn't 100% which I dont think it is the numbers are compelling enough and I think reflect the fight. It was a competitive fight but Canelo was more efficient and landed the more harder telling blows. Canelo used great upperbody movement to evade Cotto's punches and countered beautifully. The punches he did take he walked through them while the ones Cotto took seemed to stop him in his tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
              That'd be assuming CompuBox were accurate. According to Compubox, Cotto missed more than 85% of his jabs. Does that sound believable? As I said earlier, if Compubox were indeed correct, then the fight wouldn't have even been close. Cotto wouldn't have been able to even stop Canelo from knocking him out.

When I watched this fight, I didn't agree with how some saw Canelo win. I scored it just like the Mexican media did, 117-111 for Cotto. I disagreed with but understood the theory that Canelo was supposedly so much stronger that his punches should count quadruple (I guess), but in no way can I even come close to a theory in which Canelo was the busier, more accurate fighter.

No way. It's just not there.

Again, if it had been the case that Cotto were missing practically all of his jabs, he would've been destroyed. The evidence doesn't add up in any way.
              Even if the compubox stats weren't 100% correct, they seemed to be representative of the fight. Canelo was the more efficient fighter and landed more of the harder telling blows. Canelo used his upperbody movement to evade Cotto's punches and countered beautifully. The shots Cotto did land, Canelo ate them and continued while the punches Canelo landed seemed to stop Cotto in his tracks. Also I liked Canelos body work in the fight. Cotto moved his feet well but his lateral movement stiffled his offense as the fight progressed.

Closer fight than the judges had it but clear win for Canelo. 8-4.

Comment

2 Divas fought, one Diva won, who cares?

Cotto is old and shot. He gives a **** about the sport or the fans. Let him fight another old shot dude and fulfill his stupid contract.

I know Cotto and Roc Nation are begging to get another payday but I rather not see the disgrace again.

He should stay with his weirdo family and not bother us.

Comment

Even if the compubox stats weren't 100% correct, they seemed to be representative of the fight. Canelo was the more efficient fighter and landed more of the harder telling blows. Canelo used his upperbody movement to evade Cotto's punches and countered beautifully. The shots Cotto did land, Canelo ate them and continued while the punches Canelo landed seemed to stop Cotto in his tracks. Also I liked Canelos body work in the fight. Cotto moved his feet well but his lateral movement stiffled his offense as the fight progressed.

Closer fight than the judges had it but clear win for Canelo. 8-4.
                  I disagree completely. Cotto either blocked or avoided many shots. The ones that did land, Cotto was not moved by them at all, for the most part. It also wasn't that he was stopped in his tracks; he was bracing for the shots while rolling with them a little. The commentators acted like that meant he was hurt, but if you pay attention to the action, or at least to the replays, lots of those shots miss or barely land. You can tell it's just Cotto bracing his body for potential impact. It's boxing basics.

The commentators expected the shots to hurt Cotto, due to the size difference, so they essentially imagined the shots were hurting him. Eventually, those same commentators also literally acknowledged that they weren't calling the fight accurately, that nothing was happening to Cotto at all.

In no way did Cotto miss 85% of his jabs. He was accurate, because he had to be. Fighting with Canelo, who was weighing somewhere around 180 pounds, you have to be accurate, or you'd be knocked out. It's a credit to Cotto's boxing skills that he wasn't being rocked. His boxing skills made up for the size differential.

You can make the argument that Cotto's shots didn't move Canelo, but neither did Canelo's shots move Cotto. They were even in that department. The only solid difference between the two is that Cotto was landing a lot more.

Hence, Miguel Cotto won the fight. I rather judge, with everything else even, based on whom landed more, than to judge it off of whom looks bigger.

If boxing worked that way, then sumo wrestlers could take over the sport. There's a lot more to it than weight.

We can agree to disagree, however.
                  Last edited by SunSpace; 05-05-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                    2 Divas fought, one Diva won, who cares?

Cotto is old and shot. He gives a **** about the sport or the fans. Let him fight another old shot dude and fulfill his stupid contract.

I know Cotto and Roc Nation are begging to get another payday but I rather not see the disgrace again.

He should stay with his weirdo family and not bother us.
                    Old and shot? And gave boxing suppose to be next superstar a run for his money? In Canelos Prime

Some of you guys just post to troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X