Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBA orders immediate rematch for Peterson-Khan.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBA orders immediate rematch for Peterson-Khan.

by Lem Satterfield
    Jan 13th, 2012

The WBA has officially ordered an immediate rematch between Lamont Peterson and Amir Khan, the man Peterson dethroned as IBF/WBA junior welterweight beltholder by split-decision last month.

The move was made in the wake of a formal appeal made by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Khan, who is also awaiting the results of a Jan. 18 hearing for a similar filing with the IBF to overturn Peterson's victory or else to order an immediate rematch based in their belief that the fight was poorly officiated and that there were scorecard descrepancies.

"I just received, a half an hour ago, a letter from the WBA on their official decision that they are going to order an immediate rematch between Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson," said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "I think that it's the right decision, and I hope that we can get the rematch done."

Some of the controversy stems from the actions of IBF affiliate Mustafa Ameen, who has been dubbed, the "Mystery Man," as a result of his alledged rinside behavior that was caught on video and seemed to include picking up a yellow scoring slip near WBA ringside scoring official Michael Welsh during the Dec. 10 fight.

Ameen is also photographed in the ring appearing to celebrate with Peterson camp members, but it appears that it is primarily due to Ameen's actions that WBA President Gilberto Mendoza has called for the return bout.

Organizations assign their own official scorers to bouts as backup references, and Welsh scored it a draw, while the IBF's rep Paul Artisst had it for Peterson.

Peterson edged Khan, 113-112 on the cards of judges George Hill of New Jersey and Valerie Dorsett of North Carolina, and lost,115-110 on that of Nelson Vazquez of Puerto Rico.

Ameen will address his actions during the IBF hearing and discussion with officials representing Khan and Golden Boy in New Jersey, and Schaefer is hoping for a similar result.

"The WBA and the WBC are two different sanctioning organizations," said Schaefer. "But I hope that the IBF is coming to realize that the proper thing and the right thing to do is to order an immediate rematch. But that's not going to be my decision, that's going to be the IBF's decision."
    Peterson has been weighing his options, which include a career-high offer of $1 million by Schaefer for a rematch with Khan.

Ring TV .com

Good.

Peterson can go ahead and tax dat ass again

Comment

The fight should be in Las Vegas or here in Los Angeles(Staples Center). Khan wants, it don't know if Lamont wants it.
      Last edited by loui_ludwig; 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Yo Lamont.

Vacate and fight Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
          Yo Lamont.

Vacate and fight Floyd.
          I'd vacate too, wouldn't feed into Khan's bitch antics.

Comment

Thats fine with me. I don't think Peterson's win should be overturned however.

Khan just should be happy with this.

Comment

I want Lamant to get a fight against Pac or Floyd just to rub it in Khan's face.

Comment

Should be a good fight this is what I live for although I didn't agree with the first fight it was a real good scrap we wont be disappointed.

Comment

This seems very premature by the WBA. With the IBF's hearing in a weeks time surely they should have waited to see the evidence and what Ameen had to say. There have been accusations of corruption with the scoring but there has to be huge infuence of GBP over how the WBA do their business and that is not healthy. We know GBP paid the WBA to relax their mandatory rules in order for Khan to duck Maidana for 3 fights. That is not right and indicates massive influence . IMO GBP have paid the WBA to jump the gun and give Khan his title back. This is a bigger scandal than the man in the hat red herring.
                  Last edited by Prince Mongo; 01-13-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                    I'd vacate too, wouldn't feed into Khan's bitch antics.
                    Khan got jobbed, He b*tch alot but he got jobbed in DC.

Comment

Working...
                    X