Post of the day Slick rick says GGG beats prime Jones and John Ruiz who agrees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i got the keys View Post
    the guy said GGG stops Ruiz, and beats Jones.....head scratcher for sure

i told him how was GGG going to beat Jones when he never beat or faced anyone on that level, let alone took the hits with the power, speed or accuracy of jones

the fan boy level for this man is at astronomical levels

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      GGG is talented but he and toney on their best day....i'd take toney...he'd batter GGG inside

Tarver with his length and power would most likely spark him out....milk dud gets on my nerves, but he was no joke on his best day. He also knocked out most of his best opposition

I dont see him getting inside on Tarver like he does those fringe contender middleweights he often fights
      Like I said, I wouldn't bet on him beating Toney or Tarver, but it's definitely possible. Toney is similar in size to Golovkin, but much thicker. Toney is a very good boxer with an absolutely iron chin, but he's mostly a reflexes guy. Toney can be outboxed and countered, both of which Golovkin is very capable of doing. I don't think Golovkin will let Toney take him on the inside too much. His jab is good enough to avoid it.

Tarver can also be outboxed.

Those 2 matchups come down to 2 things for me. One is reach. I've always thought Golovkin has 70" reach, and he usually fights compact enough for me not to question it. During the tale of the tape vs. Brook, he was measured with 74" reach. If the 74" number is correct, he's much more flexible than I gave him credit for.
      Tarver is also listed with 74" reach, so the advantage you're talking about wont be significant.

The last factor is whether Golovkin is capable of staying on track. You're a big believer in "who has he beat?" He obviously lacks any big names.
      My opinion is based on the eye test. Golovkin has a tendency of looking absolutely superior for a short period, then playing down to his competition. It has been a trend for 10+ fights now. Once he figures you out, he loses concentration and fights off instinct. He starts lunging, looking for the KO, opens up his defense, etc.

I'd love to see him stay on target for one whole fight - beginning to the end. If he can do that and bring his A-game for the whole fight, he can be an absolute handful for anyone. Seriously - he's NEVER fought anywhere close to a perfect fight so far in any of the fights we've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
        Like I said, I wouldn't bet on him beating Toney or Tarver, but it's definitely possible. Toney is similar in size to Golovkin, but much thicker. Toney is a very good boxer with an absolutely iron chin, but he's mostly a reflexes guy. Toney can be outboxed and countered, both of which Golovkin is very capable of doing. I don't think Golovkin will let Toney take him on the inside too much. His jab is good enough to avoid it.

Tarver can also be outboxed.

Those 2 matchups come down to 2 things for me. One is reach. I've always thought Golovkin has 70" reach, and he usually fights compact enough for me not to question it. During the tale of the tape vs. Brook, he was measured with 74" reach. If the 74" number is correct, he's much more flexible than I gave him credit for.
        Tarver is also listed with 74" reach, so the advantage you're talking about wont be significant.

The last factor is whether Golovkin is capable of staying on track. You're a big believer in "who has he beat?" He obviously lacks any big names.
        My opinion is based on the eye test. Golovkin has a tendency of looking absolutely superior for a short period, then playing down to his competition. It has been a trend for 10+ fights now. Once he figures you out, he loses concentration and fights off instinct. He starts lunging, looking for the KO, opens up his defense, etc.

I'd love to see him stay on target for one whole fight - beginning to the end. If he can do that and bring his A-game for the whole fight, he can be an absolute handful for anyone. Seriously - he's NEVER fought anywhere close to a perfect fight so far in any of the fights we've seen.
        toney was outboxed and countered by faster opponents....Jones had otherworldly speed and movement.....Michael Nunn was a 6'2" middleweight with quick reflexes and legs, great chin.....GGG doesnt have their type of speed, movement or elusiveness.

GGG is tailor made for toney. prime for prime, best day....I think GGG gets stopped

Tarver got outboxed by Hopkins......a 6'2" fighter with a long reach and better defense and counters than GGG....Just saying

Tarver could be outworked but he was rarely outboxed....

Comment

Ruiz was just to slow to hit Jones. Sometimes weight doesn't mean crap I held focus pads for many different kids of different sizes and at times you would find a 106 pound kid hitting harder than 147 pound kid those in doubt go volunteer in your local gym. Some heavyweights can't break an egg. One time Mike Tyson stated that their are 100 pound kids who hit harder than a heavy weight cause this Heavyweight can't crack an egg

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            yeah he would look like david tua lmao. too bad tua never fought ruiz!
            Uhh, he did. Tua KO1 Ruiz...

Comment

Like I said, I wouldn't bet on him beating Toney or Tarver, but it's definitely possible.
              No, it isn't. Sorry but Bumlovkin is not competitive with a prime LHW Tarver and isn't even in the conversation where James Toney is concerned. JT was on a whole different plane of reality in boxing skill..

Tarver can also be outboxed. .
              Yes, if your name is Bernard Hopkins.

Comment

No way he beats Jones in his prime! Y'all must've forgot!

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
                  Uhh, he did. Tua KO1 Ruiz...
                  I'm sure you know he was being sarcastic...

Anyhow, as Pugilist stated... here's the real reason why Golovkin can't beat Ruiz. Brace yourselves..

1.) Lil'G is not even as fast, explosive, like a perfected Tua left hook. That pounce of Tua was a menacing and timed offensive bulldozer, ironically, the same power as Roy at 160 with that leaping hook,of course in different style. Leaping hooks is what made Floyd an ATG badass and versatile... Golovkin did a nice double left hook, once, against Stevens....that's his infamous drop...moving forward... (and by the eay Roy's defensive IQ is 20x that of Stevens at 160)

2.) Golovkin throughout his career has great condition, and at the stool at later rounds dude is gassed out... NOW, if people think that Golovkin can sustain Ruiz's heavy ass on a clich or going toe to toe like he did against Monrroe Jr. are just straight trolling and never lifted in their life... Moving heavier weight in the ring is a Completely Different ballgame and takes lots of training like an ATG. Again...but ONLY 160 doe...

3.) See #2... Golovkin adding 30-40 pounds...good god...this dude is already getting slow...

4.) Eats shots...Ruiz or general heavyweight power on simple jabs are the same power as 160 fighters upping their power.

5.) Ruiz would walk him down, getting him at the ropes, continue to push him like he did Roy... man that sht wears out the oppopent. Don't believe it? Try wrestling... Golvokin better eat 30lbs of spaghetti before getting in there with a Ruiz... needs all the power to go past 6 rds..

6.) Golvokin is slower.. see #4, can't imagine him faster or at an advantage to beat a seasoned Ruiz.

So how do you beat Ruiz coming from 160? Use your amateur marketing crap and move up. Sarcasm... Same sht for Rigo.

There are many more reasons but...nah..not needed
                  Last edited by Lester Tutor; 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    toney was outboxed and countered by faster opponents....Jones had otherworldly speed and movement.....Michael Nunn was a 6'2" middleweight with quick reflexes and legs, great chin.....GGG doesnt have their type of speed, movement or elusiveness.

GGG is tailor made for toney. prime for prime, best day....I think GGG gets stopped

Tarver got outboxed by Hopkins......a 6'2" fighter with a long reach and better defense and counters than GGG....Just saying

Tarver could be outworked but he was rarely outboxed....
                    Golovkin is not fast, but he is quick. His reflexes are still top notch - just look at his counterjabbing skills. He can absolutely counter Toney. As for movement, we can get back into how good Golovkin is defensively. The trolls will maintain that Brook fight was his best defensive performance, which is obviously gibberish. The educated folk know that he can be great, and is usually at least good. He just stops at a certain point for whatever reason.

Stopped? Based on what? I think the only way Golovkin gets stopped is if we're talking 200 lb version of Toney vs. 160 lb Golovkin. At 160 or 168, there's no chance in hell Golovkin gets stopped. He has demonstrated at least a great chin and Toney wasn't exactly an unstoppable KO machine. He has several decision wins over questionable opposition.

Tarver got outboxed plenty of times, not just by Hopkins. His resume is full of close decisions, some of which went for him, others against.

Comment

If GGG catches Jones consistently then of course he wins. Jones has a **** chin.

However, catching Jones is a big IF.

Comment

Working...
                      X