Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Golden Boy-HBO split the best thing that could have happened for us fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarPower View Post
    Haymon handcuffing HBO is a little bit of an over statement. He doesnt have a huge stable of fighters to accomplish that. I thought he was doing his job building up Berto the right way. Haymon did give us Berto vs Guerrero and Ortiz on HBO. He also did match up Berto vs Mosley after Mosley beat Margarito, although that fight didnt happen.
    They had that multi year GBP output deal, that pretty much froze out all grade B promoters from HBO, other than for marquee guys like LDB's Martinez. Now the roles are flipped: Hershman is after bang for the buck guys like GGG, making b grade promoters put their top guys in vs each other, like Cleverly Kovalev and Barker Geale (and GGG Macklin, that took pressure). Meanwhile SHO took it a step farther with output deals, it's pretty much all GBP all the time. Which is not bad, they have a great roster, but constraining. It's also very expensive, GBP and Haymon's guys

Comment

I don't think it is good for the long term of the sport but I think it has helped the short term and I like the analogy of the WCW and WWF. The WCW was kicking the WWF's butt for a while but over time regained its status as the long reigning and premier wrestling organization. I think that is what could happen with HBO and Showtime. Right now I think Showtime has the upper hand but eventually I don't think Showtime can pay Mayweather, Canelo, Khan, Broner, and etc. so they will have to go back to HBO and HBO will show that it is the premier boxing provider.

But as of right now they will continue to compete with each other and we will get the Maidana's and Lopez cards and the Cleverly cards and so on.

Comment

Golden Boy is sodomising Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
          Golden Boy is sodomising Top Rank.
          No Top Rank in Dubai, guess they'll have to settle for camels

Comment

I may have agreed if it didn't seem like you believed that it's only golden boy putting on some suspect fights. Pacman/Margarito was top rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              I may have agreed if it didn't seem like you believed that it's only golden boy putting on some suspect fights. Pacman/Margarito was top rank.
              I still don't see your problem with this fight. I mean there's all the extra curricular stuff, alright, but as a fight it was good and memorable. Marg is no cherrypick for any guy 15lbs smaller, that's obvious. It was Pac's most physically taxing fight in a long time.

But that was ages ago, way before the split anyway.

Comment

It's the beginning of the attitude era in boxing. I always knew it would be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                X