Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a specific fighter who got you interested in boxing initially?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a specific fighter who got you interested in boxing initially?

For me, it's clearly Mike Tyson. The first fight I remember watching live is in fact Tyson - Bruno in 1989. Which fighter got you hooked on boxing, if any in particular?

Oscar.

Comment

Pacquiao. I'm a newbie. I really got into boxing after I saw him in his 24/7 with Cotto

Comment

delahoya. i was young and didnt understand the hate because he was fighting everyone

Comment

Oscar but Bernard Hopkins did it for me, that's when I felt in love with the sweet science.

Comment

Not a specific fighter, but the Weigh-Ins got my attention.

On a serious note it was 2 fighters for me - Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. Both were huge in the UK at their peak and being a young impressionable scamp I couldn't help but be drawn to boxing especially in a Fight-Loving Country like Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
              For me, it's clearly Mike Tyson. The first fight I remember watching live is in fact Tyson - Bruno in 1989. Which fighter got you hooked on boxing, if any in particular?
              Tyson...though my very first memory of watching boxing was Stevenson at the Moscow Olympics - I was like 7 or 8 and we didn't own a TV but my dad was over from Greece for a visit and my grandparents lent us theirs.

Really thogh it was watching Iron Mike in the late 80s, huddled around that little portaable B&W TV (when you still got to see boxing on the 4 UK terestrial channels of the time). Occasionally I got to see some other fights then...almost always it was HWs and I can't help recalling (though I don't remember which fights they were) how slow and plodding all the HWs (cept Tyson) seemed.

EDIT - And Yeah Tyson - Bruno I do remember (wow...now I come to think of it coupla early Bruno fights are coming back) - even at the tender age of 17 (I left home permanently a few months later) I was absolutely sure Tyson would destroy Bruno, despite the myth being pedaled at the time that Frank was the future of UK boxing
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 02-26-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Tyson and ODH.

Tyson was so famous and powerful. His fights were a spectacle in themselves.

ODH fought everyone and has a trillion dollar smile. A killer w/ da ladies and he fought with a lot of heart.

Comment

Fernando Vargas

Comment

Nigel Benn, Roy Jones jr, Prince Naz were the ones for me.

You didn't watch Bruno-Tyson in '89

Were you 6 years old? come on dude. At least cover up your lies with something better.

Correct answer for you would be: "When Wladimir Klitschko fought Ibragimov in '08" - Fighting poetry.

Comment

Working...
                    X