No announcement yet.

Calzaghe 'scared' of Pavlik power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calzaghe 'scared' of Pavlik power

Welsh boxing hero Joe Calzaghe has been accused of running scared of big-hitting American Kelly Pavlik.

Super-middleweight king Calzaghe has ruled out a big-money showdown with fellow unbeaten star Pavlik, the WBO and WBC middleweight champion.

But Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew said: "How many more excuses is this guy going to make? If Joe Calzaghe fought Kelly, he'd be in trouble.

"There's no way he'd beat Kelly, he's just a slap-happy Welshman."

Pavlik has told 10-year champion Calzaghe he wants to "get it on" but the undisputed super-middleweight wants to fight ageing great Roy Jones Jnr.

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren is in negotiations with 39-year-old Jones's representatives for a prospective autumn clash.

The 36-year-old Welshman is currently big box office in the United States following his points win over Bernard the 'Executioner' Hopkins.

But although Calzaghe insists he would beat Pavlik, the powerhouse from Ohio would be a risk to the Newbridge fighter's unbeaten record at this late stage in his career.

The legendary Jones is a four-weight world champion but is considered by many pundits as yesterday's news, with rising star Pavlik the promising new kid on the block.

Calzaghe's stablemate Gary Lockett, trained by Calzaghe's father Enzo, was demolished by Pavlik inside three rounds earlier this month, and Loew admitted: "Jones Jnr is a smarter fight for Calzaghe.

"This is what happened: his dad went back and said 'don't fight this killer, he is gonna knock you out'.

"I'm ticked off as he's telling us that we don't want to fight him. But yes, we do want to fight Joe Calzaghe. He doesn't want to fight Kelly Pavlik."

Source - - - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7469896.stm

Wouldn't want to fight Pavlik if I was Zag's either.

The old guard is stepping down. And Zags vs RJJ might be the way to send them off.

Frankly, a AA vs Pavlik fight would not draw not nearly as many numbers. But I hope it happens.

Comment

I wouldnt want to fight pavlik...he's a beast...

thats like saying you wouldnt want to fight a prime tyson...not many are crazy enough to do it...

Comment

Jack Loew spews so much ****. Joe Calzaghe is a lineal two weight champion who is unbeaten in his pro career, for someone who is "scared" he has done pretty well I think. I want to see the Pavlik fight, but there is more money in the RJJ fight and Joe deserves a big payday for the service he has given to the sport.

No doubt Pavlik is for real and a serious threat to Calzaghe's unbeaten record, but I have backed againt Joe before and won't make that mistake again; he will find a way to beat Kelly if they ever meet.

Comment

Yes Kelly Pavlik is good, but you can sort of understand Joe Calzaghe wanting the big pay days now and, lets be honest, he is going to get more from a Roy Jones Jnr fight.

Comment

Anyone who thinks that Pavlik would even get close to beating Joe Calzaghe is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post

thats like saying you wouldnt want to fight a prime tyson...not many are crazy enough to do it...

I love Moby too, but I can't wait for the wheels to fall off this latest bandwagon.

Comment

COme on did anyone see Joe take Kessler's uppercuts, and then about half a nano second later protect his chin. That was ****ing epic.

The fight with Kessler proves Joe can handle power, the fights still very risky though if he wins he won't get the respect anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post

No, he isn't that good. Calslappy has never wanted to fight anyone in their prime. Just look what a 43 year old Hopkions did to him in opening round! He wouldn;t have lasted as long as Tito or Oscar. His dad said it all after the 11th 'you need a KO to win it'. Yahahahaha. And he didn't get it so thanks Ezno for admitting your ***** ass gay sheeploving son got owned by a middle aged geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
                    No, he isn't that good. Calslappy has never wanted to fight anyone in their prime. Just look what a 43 year old Hopkions did to him in opening round! He wouldn;t have lasted as long as Tito or Oscar. His dad said it all after the 11th 'you need a KO to win it'. Yahahahaha. And he didn't get it so thanks Ezno for admitting your ***** ass gay sheeploving son got owned by a middle aged geezer.
                    Reid, Lacy, Kessler, Bika.....

Also, earlier in the fight, Enzo had been telling Joe that he was winning easily and that bernard was ready to be 'taken'. Think maybe he was just trying to spur Joe on in the final rounds?

Comment

Working...
                    X