No announcement yet.

Is pacquiao a Pressure Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wouldn't call him that.

in his prime weights he was just a fighter. he would stay on the outside for a stretch, because he was tall and long, and wait for opportunities. then he'd explode with the left hand behind one or two jabs or flurry when he closed the distance with his feet. what he really wanted was an exchange. the first morales fight is the only time i've seen anybody get the better of pacquiao in exchanges. morales is one of the most underrated technicians ever... but i digress.

pacquiao never really cut the ring off. he never worked the jab. he didnt invest in the body. his body work would be of the mixed in with combinations variety, and with power. for instance, he followed cotto around the ring when he had him hurt. he was fast enough to get away with it, and back cotto up anyway.

he'd use his footspeed to get close. nobody was really fast enough to use the ring consistently. if he backed you up straght he'd catch up and flatten you

at 122 and 126 and 130 he was a beast. physically the guy was just a beast. he did not develop the level of craft that you saw at WW until he got there, and had to make his money fighting guys that were so much bigger than he is.

looking at pacquiao today, i'd say that he's never been naturally bigger than a lightweight, either.

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
      I wouldn't call Manny a boxer/puncher he is more of a puncher with slight boxing mixed in.
      This is how I see it too

Comment

I think he can be but generally he is more effective if the opponent instigates contact. When he had to pressurize against Bradley he didnt look that effective. But when Hatton tried pressuring him he looked like an animal. But his footwork is his most valued attribute and IMO the only thing that gives him a chance against May.

Comment

Generally pressure fighters want to fight right inside at close range and Manny doesn't, prefering to stay right in the middle of the pocket. So I would say no

Comment

Pacquaio is not a pressure fighter. He is a explosive ambusher, Meaning he doesnt do much till he lunges in and ambushes you, if it didnt go the way he wanted he will just zip out of their and wait till the opportunity present itself again, contrary to what people believe he does not create the action. All his bobbing with his body and head makes it seem like he is accomplishing something and pushing forth the action, hence why people will seem to think he is a pressure fighter. He is not, he is simply a explosive ambusher and a excellent finisher.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
              Pacquaio is not a pressure fighter. He is a explosive ambusher, Meaning he doesnt do much till he lunges in and ambushes you, if it didnt go the way he wanted he will just zip out of their and wait till the opportunity present itself again, contrary to what people believe he does not create the action. All his bobbing with his body and head makes it seem like he is accomplishing something and pushing forth the action, hence why people will seem to think he is a pressure fighter. He is not, he is simply a explosive ambusher and a excellent finisher.
              His foot movement and body movement is what is creating the pressure tho..Like you said if you allow Pac into a certain distance he will unload on you..He is not your traditional pressure fighters,but he is a pressure fighter imo..He also makes you expend loads of energy trying to get away from him or firing off when you really don't want to...

Jeez green K for that sig..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                His foot movement and body movement is what is creating the pressure tho..Like you said if you allow Pac into a certain distance he will unload on you..He is not your traditional pressure fighters,but he is a pressure fighter imo..He also makes you expend loads of energy trying to get away from him or firing off when you really don't want to...

Jeez green K for that sig..
                His foot work is only truly used when he is trying to zip out, he ambushes you practically the same way every time. He zips out in all kinds of angles but he really doesn't ambush you in all kinds of angles. When he zips out at those angles he realize you aren't set nor ready and he ambushes you allover again before you are prepared for it and he does it over and over till you are set and then he backs off and waits for that opportunity so he can ambush again. This is really not pressure fighting, its just him out classing the opponent.

Comment

To me Pacman is a brawler with amazing speed in his hands and feet. Nothing else.

Comment

One thing is for sure. Pacquiao style is what makes him great. Even Floyd can't hold a candle without blowing it out comparing how Pac beat Oscar, Hatton, Mosley and Cotto in so much better fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by whirlwind View Post
                      One thing is for sure. Pacquiao style is what makes him great. Even Floyd can't hold a candle without blowing it out comparing how Pac beat Oscar, Hatton, Mosley and Cotto in so much better fashion.

Oh god..

Comment

Working...
                      X