Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Alvarez-Mayweather for the lineal title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Alvarez-Mayweather for the lineal title?

Maybe this has been asked before.

I hope I can get away with this in Boxing History as the question needs some look in the past to be answered, but real reason I am here is that I doubt I can get useful info from NSB.

thank you.

Neither holds the lineal title or are undisputed so no.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Neither holds the lineal title or are undisputed so no.
      By undisputed you mean holding WBA/IBF/WBC?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        By undisputed you mean holding WBA/IBF/WBC?
        Yes. A lineal champion does not need to be undisputed because some where along the lineal line it was and he beat the man who beat the man etc, but to crown a new lineal champ there can be no dispute.

A good example was Mike Tyson who gained all three belts(before wbo began) but even though he was the best heavyweight in the world and had all the sanctioning belts, Michael Spinks still held the lineal belt. Once Tyson beat Spinks, only then did he gain recognition as the lineal champion.
        Last edited by TBear; 09-13-2013, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Maybe this has been asked before.

I hope I can get away with this in Boxing History as the question needs some look in the past to be answered, but real reason I am here is that I doubt I can get useful info from NSB.

thank you.
          There is no lineage ATM. Last person to hold the 154 title was Winky Wright.

Normally the lineage gets re-established when the no.1 and 2 guy in the division fights after the champion is considered retired.

That probably should mean that Floyd vs. Canelo is for the linear title so I'd say yes.

Tbea,r undisputed means the 4 major belts these days ie WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            There is no lineage ATM. Last person to hold the 154 title was Winky Wright.

Normally the lineage gets re-established when the no.1 and 2 guy in the division fights after the champion is considered retired.

That probably should mean that Floyd vs. Canelo is for the linear title so I'd say yes.

Tbea,r undisputed means the 4 major belts these days ie WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO.
            Yes.

If you saying this because about what I posted about Tyson, when he unified the WBC, IBF and WBA belts, the WBO was not in existence yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Yes.

If you saying this because about what I posted about Tyson, when he unified the WBC, IBF and WBA belts, the WBO was not in existence yet.
              Oh yeah. I should have directed it to wmute, who only mentioned three of the alphabet boys.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                Oh yeah. I should have directed it to wmute, who only mentioned three of the alphabet boys.
                Alright bro, for a moment I thought you might have thought I didn't know.

Comment

I did not know that you needed WBO too be undisputed. What is the criterion for the change? Will we add WBU soon if they start having decent champions?

so who is #1 and#2 @54 as of today?

(It seems strange that Floyd can be #2)?

Comment

I did not know that you needed WBO too be undisputed. What is the criterion for the change? Will we add WBU soon if they start having decent champions?

so who is #1 and#2 @54 as of today?

(It seems strange that Floyd can be #2)?
                    The WBO thing has come gradually as the organization has gathered recognition and marquee champions and is now generally 'accepted' as being one of the four major belts.

Canelo is rated no. 1 and Floyd no. 2 in boxingscene's rankings:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi...boxing-ratings

Comment

Working...
                    X