Cotto-Martinez update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto-Martinez update

Hey boxing fans,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on looking at Cotto and Martinez in camp?

From what I understand, Cotto started his camp on 1 April, whereas Martinez started a few weeks earlier.

Looking at Martinez's recent photos, he looked out of shape and bit rough around the edges. I also noticed his knee was heavily bandaged whilst he was shadow boxing. Has there been any footage of him running? Because from what I hear, he is doing little or no roadwork from the Dr's advise. He's also hinted that there's a strong chance he'll retire after the Cotto fight. How do you interpret that?

I've not seen anything of Cotto training. He certainly looked fresher in his last fight but it's hard to gauge when you take into account who he was fighting. Or was it a good performance? I think Rodriguez took Trout 12-rounds. Is Cotto looking like he could make a last resurgence? Roach says Cotto was overtraining. Cotto supports the claim and states that if he was in this shape for the Mayweather fight he would've won by 'KO'. That's interesting come off a relatively quiet and humble guy like Cotto.

Anything you've seen in the buildup that makes you see the fight differently??

Thanks!

Im a die hard Cotto fan but Im realistic and I see it a 60/40 fight favoring Sergio due to his bigger size and heavier hand but do not write Miguel out yet! He is coming to fight, and he has great timing, boxing ability and ring generaship. With some body work early, cutting off the ring on Martinez, smart pressure and timing Cotto can set up the upset. He will box and he will pressure, he will turn Martinez and attack, making Sergio force his knee with odd angles and explosive movment, slowing him down for the kill.

War Cotto!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
      Im a die hard Cotto fan but Im realistic and I see it a 60/40 fight favoring Sergio due to his bigger size and heavier hand but do not write Miguel out yet! He is coming to fight, and he has great timing, boxing ability and ring generaship. With some body work early, cutting off the ring on Martinez, smart pressure and timing Cotto can set up the upset. He will box and he will pressure, he will turn Martinez and attack, making Sergio force his knee with odd angles and explosive movment, slowing him down for the kill.

War Cotto!
      Good post, I'm backing Maravilla but Cotto is a great fighter and could pull off the upset

Comment

Cotto will have to close distances quickly in this fight, otherwise Sergio will bust him up from the outside and cruise to a MD.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
          Cotto will have to close distances quickly in this fight, otherwise Sergio will bust him up from the outside and cruise to a MD.
          Yes, he will need an active defence, foot work and head movement to get in, and most importantly, stay in.

He needs to turn Sergio like he did to Margacheto 2, true, Serigo is not Margarita, but you get the concept/idea of what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by freethinkersam View Post
            Hey boxing fans,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on looking at Cotto and Martinez in camp?

From what I understand, Cotto started his camp on 1 April, whereas Martinez started a few weeks earlier.

Looking at Martinez's recent photos, he looked out of shape and bit rough around the edges. I also noticed his knee was heavily bandaged whilst he was shadow boxing. Has there been any footage of him running? Because from what I hear, he is doing little or no roadwork from the Dr's advise. He's also hinted that there's a strong chance he'll retire after the Cotto fight. How do you interpret that?

I've not seen anything of Cotto training. He certainly looked fresher in his last fight but it's hard to gauge when you take into account who he was fighting. Or was it a good performance? I think Rodriguez took Trout 12-rounds. Is Cotto looking like he could make a last resurgence? Roach says Cotto was overtraining. Cotto supports the claim and states that if he was in this shape for the Mayweather fight he would've won by 'KO'. That's interesting come off a relatively quiet and humble guy like Cotto.

Anything you've seen in the buildup that makes you see the fight differently??

Thanks!
            Bad news, Sergios whole prime was based on out quicking bigger slower guys, but contrary to most faster fighters Sergio is Notorius for taking 4-5 middle rounds off, being that he is out of shape, on about a year plus of inactivity, admittedly not 100%, have the worst china among elite fighters, hands down defense, with Cotto's heavy jab, I suspect a brutal ass whipping for Sergio......

Although Im not a Sergio fan and a hater of his smoke and mirrors and charades, I wished he took the time to be 100% healthy, although I always felt he was beatable he strung along great wins in great fights at the tail end of his career, but Sergio has been clearly looking to cash out for years now, I hope Cotto gives him everything he asks for

Comment

KING Cotto gonna hurt this old man. End if.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
                Yes, he will need an active defence, foot work and head movement to get in, and most importantly, stay in.

He needs to turn Sergio like he did to Margacheto 2, true, Serigo is not Margarita, but you get the concept/idea of what I'm saying.
                If Margarito and Chavez cut off th ring and touched him at will Cotto will have no issues, just watch the Mayweather fight, Cotto will force him to fight in the trench eventually, and Sergio with his straight only punches, damn near turns his back in those situations; he has no answers for a trench fight......

My only fear for Cotto here is he has historiccaly struggled vs Southpaw, even ones not in his league such as Corley, Clottley, Trout, I blame that on a lack of a right hand......I believe Freddie can fix that though, if not Cotto may have to go through all hell to get a win

Comment

Cotto can cut the ring off greater than anoyone Sexy Sergio I just pray Cotto's defense stays sharp as I genuinely fear for him in this fight...

Comment

Cotto will be embarrassed

Comment

Working...
                    X