Interview w/ Matt "The Law" Lindland

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview w/ Matt "The Law" Lindland

[img]http://www.*************.com/mma/ufc/questgnp.jpg[/img]
    *************.com Interview with 2000 US Olympic Siver Medalst, and UFC Superstar Matt "The Law" Lindland.

*************.com: What were your over all thoughts following UFC 45: Revolution - The company's 10th anniversary show?

Matt Lindland: I was glad to be a part of the whole show -- especially with the 10th anniversary thing going on.

*************.com: Are you happy with your performance in your rematch against Niko Vitale?

Matt Lindland: I thought I fought pretty well against Vitale. Like I said before, I didn't know how good a fighter he was -- I've never seen any tape on him, I've never seen him fight, I've seen one match of his on a film and other than that I didn't really know much about him going into that fight -- even though I'd fought him before. I didn't learn much from that first outting. But I could see he was a pretty good fighter. I could see he was looking for different submissions at times. I never felt like I was too threatened by anything he did, though.

*************.com: Who are you looking to fight next?

Matt Lindland: I'm looking to fight anywhere, as soon as I can. It looks like UFC may have their January card already filled -- so that's a little disappointing for me. I am assuming I am not on the January card, since I didn't hear my name announced at the press conference following UFC 45.

*************.com: At UFC 45, your 'friend' Phil Baroni was suspended for one year for striking an official. We would like to hear your feedback on what happened.

Matt Lindland: I was in the locker room, getting ready for my fight. I saw the same thing everybody else saw on the monitors. I was just back in the locker room. I watched it again on TV…

*************.com: Do you think the one-year suspension -- and I believe he's possibily banned for life at the Mohegan Sun -- do you think that's a just punishment for Baroni?

Matt Lindland: One year -- I don't think anything harsher than a year, but I think a year is plenty for that. I don't think it's too much. I don't think it's too little either. I think in a year, maybe he'll get his head cleared and come back a different guy. A year is a long time in this sport. You look at last year -- I only fought twice last year. So, worst case scenario, he's going to lose two or three fights. He's one of the UFC's favorite fighters, I'm sure he'll be right back when he's reinstated.

*************.com: How does it make you feel, that the Mohegan Sun, fans seemed to boo a lot of the fighters as soon as it got technical, yet Tank Abbott got the loudest ovation of the evening? For his post fight melee?

Matt Lindland: That's embarrassing. It's embarrassing that, after ten years, the fans of this sport have not evolved any further than that. That's something I expected to see at one of the UFC 3s. That stuff that he pulled -- his camp and the stuff that Baroni pulled -- that's stuff that's straight out of UFC 3, you know? Ten years later and the crowd still wants to see that…that tells me the sport part of it… you know, it seems like we all want it to go mainstream, but look at what UFCs were doing before we got taken off pay-per-view. The guys were getting $50,000 -- every fighter was making that kind of money, they were doing tons of pay-per-views, and I guess, if you want to see the sport, and you want to fight in Japan, you need to fight… I don't know, it's hard to understand it.

*************.com: What are your feelings on Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie being inducted into the Hall of Fame and who do you think should be inducted next?

Matt Lindland: I think they are both two very deserving fighters. Both men have represented the sport well, represented themselves well. Congratulations to both of those guys. Who should be inducted next into the Hall of Fame? I certainly hope, on that same note, that it's not Tank Abbott. The fans actually had him voted as one of the legends. I don't know who'd be the next guy to get inducted into that Hall of Fame. But there are plenty of worthy candidates out there.

*************.com: Right now, what is the 'secret'? Why is Team Quest so dominant? What are you guys doing that other teams, other fighters, fans, what-have-you, might be able to take from what's going on, as some inspiration?

Matt Lindland: It's no secret. And if there were one, I wouldn't want to give it away. We're doing what we've always done, we just keep doing it and eventually we're going to start getting better. I think we've always improved. I don't think this is something new, out of our team. I think we, in the time we started doing this sport -- I know especially me, since I started doing this in 2000, that I've constantly been trying to improve. We're doing a couple of camps coming up here, so if there are any secrets, we're going to give them away at our camps.

*************.com: Can you give us a plug for the camp?

Matt Lindland: Yeah. Let me get that information. Most of the information's on our website at www.tqfc.com. But we're doing two separate camps -- these are minicamps. The first one is January 9-11 and the second one is February 20-22. The camps are $450 -- including hotel, a training manual and a t-shirt. Randy will be at both of those camps, along with the rest of our team. This is going to be in Oregon, so one things you're going to have to do is get your travel to and from Portland. People can call the gym if they have any other questions -- 503-661-4134.

*************.com: And they can go to www.tqfc.com.

Matt Lindland: Exactly. They can actually sign up on our [online] store. You can pay for the camp right there on the store. So, as far as any secrets, there they are.

Lindland vs. the winner of Rivera/Murray should be his next fight.

Comment

I like Lindland. He's a skilled, well spoken humble guy. I like what he said about the fans not evolving when that fat [explitive] tub of [explitive] acted like a [expitive] and the moronic fans cheered. Sometimes I think that maybe the sport is better underground than mainstream because most people are idiots and mainstream exposure will turn it into the WWE. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Comment

I hate nothing more than fans do not understand the sport. All they want is a knock out and they have no understanding of the ground game so they BOOOOOOO. There is no reason for those people to even go to the shows. I have not watched the replay of the tank cabbage fight and what happened afterwards or the fans reaction. All i can hope is that the fans were upset with the stopage from the little cut and they were booooooooing because of that and not cheering for the extra stuff after the fight.

Comment

The vegas crowds are always a lot better

Comment

I will say it again, if MMA never goes mainstream it WILL be because of ignorant crowds & fighters like Tank, but for some reason the UFC keeps bringing him back. I think they got what they deserved, hopefully they learned & will give his slot to quality fighters!

Comment

Working...
            X