Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an argument for Hopkins to be top 10-15 ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
    sure seems that way
    Only to those that know fook all about boxing like yourself and the rest of the village people(Floyd/boner fans and race tards mainly).

Comment

Originally posted by Thickback View Post
      In terms of skill and accomplishments, yes. But far too often people let their feelings towards his "antics" get in the way of true assessment of what this man has truly done.
      Real talk!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

He's top 15-20 imho....an argument can be made for top 10 though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
        Real talk!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

He's top 15-20 imho....an argument can be made for top 10 though!!
        He's not close to either.

His resume isn't close to that caliber.

Comment

Top 10 MW? I think so, but certainly not top 5.

Top 10-15 P4P? Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Top 10 MW? I think so, but certainly not top 5.

Top 10-15 P4P? Not even close.
            Totally agree.

Comment

I don't do ATG lists... they are opinionated rubbish that are very narrow in their nature. In other words, there are too many guys to pick who have done great things on a similar level. For example if I take SRL and Duran... how can you separate them? They are just as great as one another. I believe Hopkins is certainly up there in terms of accomplishment and he is the greatest when it comes to longevity. His resume is good and his skills are top flight. I think he has to be considered one of the true greats of the sport, up there with the best of them.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                I don't do ATG lists... they are opinionated rubbish that are very narrow in their nature. In other words, there are too many guys to pick who have done great things on a similar level. For example if I take SRL and Duran... how can you separate them? They are just as great as one another. I believe Hopkins is certainly up there in terms of accomplishment and he is the greatest when it comes to longevity. His resume is good and his skills are top flight. I think he has to be considered one of the true greats of the sport, up there with the best of them.
                There are clear levels, though. Hopkins' record and achievements are not on par with Leonard or Duran, whose record and achievements aren't on par with Robinson or Greb or the guys in discussion for GOAT. Like Erik Morales is an ATG but his record and achievements aren't on par with Hopkins or Floyd.

Comment

not top 10. Top 30 and we are having a convo. Hopkins is literally a living legend. Appreciate him because we don't have long with him in the ring anymore.

Comment

He broke records with the age thing...

but prime for prime, P4p H2h, I could think of alot of guys that beat him

Comment

No

He is a true ATG but his competition when he was in his prime was just decent. Also those title defences were for the IBF belt not the lineal or undisputed title, Monzon still holds that record. If you look at the level of competition and compare it to Hagler, Monzon, and even James Toney its lacking at middleweight. His skills are undeniable but he missed a lot of guys in the 90's between 154-168 which was very deep. He lost to his best opponent at the weight as well Jones. Trinidad was a great win, but IMO he should have beat a flawed raw guy like Taylor even at the age he was, look at how good he is fighting still today.

He cemented his legacy with his intelligence, crafty style, and ability to beat the odds at an advanced age.

Ask yourself, If you say is he 10-15 all time, is Roy Jones? Jones beat him when he was 28 years old, not some green novice. He had almost 100 amatuer fights as well.

I say Hopkins is top 25 for sure, but its just too many great fighters of the past with comparable or better accomplishments to have him crack the top 15

Comment

Working...
                      X