No announcement yet.

The Big Historical Questions Thread!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
    Cool. History is a great first degree. Really opens your mind to ideas.

Real education is the one in Humanities. Rest are just careers like Accounting, Sciences and Engineering i mean theyre great and pay well and if ur in to it good for you, but its courses like history, politics and sociology is where you truly develop a conscious to great ideas. Unfortunately it can be hard to find a job after a degree like BA in Sociology.

Im stuck in one of those "career" degrees i mean im happy as it'll pay well but i definitely look forward to earn enough and work towards a humanities degree for the hell of it.

Lucky for you as you can travel to Holland or Germany and study for "free" cuz youre in EU. I heard they even pay for your dorm in Germany damn. That mite change with UKIP winning lol.
    Last edited by Box-Office; 02-07-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Deffo need a professional degree now. MPP, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
        I love history man. I have strong interests in WW2, British Raj era, and US history from settlement until 1865 and then from WW2-end of CW.

I started a PhD in that ish and then dropped out (boredom, money). May take another shot at that PhD.

How a guy born in the UK of Pakistani stock becomes fascinated with colonial America is a different question! (It's a great story of rebellion for freedom, plots, intrigue - like a novel).
        Me too. Currently reading The Americans West by Dee Brown, decent overview of the expansion toward the Pacific.

Comment

The settlement of the West is interesting stuff. For me, the political and military mechanisms that led to the Revolution and then Independence are most interesting.

For study of the Raj, anything by Stanley Wolpert is a great read.

Comment

2 words---Ancient aliens

Comment

The original Declaration of Independence is missing?

The current copy is a 2nd engrossed copy of the original which then went missing?

Crazy if true.

Comment

Some up in layman's terms exactly what the kerfuffle has been between the Northern Irish and Irish, Catholics and protestants. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X