Is Messi the best football(soccer) player ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Underboss View Post
    2010? Zidane retired in 2006.
    He did. I meant 2006. It doesn't seem that long ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
      He did. I meant 2006. It doesn't seem that long ago!
      No kidding. Brazil is right around the corner!

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
        Your kidding yourself.

1.Pele played his best football at world cups

2. Europe wasn't at all where it was all at in the 60-70s, the South AmericAn league where as good if not better.

3. Exhibition games ? You're a clown

4. Youtube Pele.

The guy was the Bradman of football.

If you've heard of Bradman that is.
        no it is true,ever scored 1000 goals, he claims hes scored over 1000 goals. The 60's and 70's europe was the best place to be and its always has been. Van baston, beckenbaer etc all played in europe not Brazil.

Pele cant be the don bradman of football as messi broke muellers record of 90 goals not peles.

And pele only played in 1 game in one of the world cup wins, and was injured for the rest of it, which proves they didnt even need him to win those 3 world cups.

And yes ive heard of don bradman, 99 average.

Messi>>>>pele in every aspect.

Comment

Your kidding yourself.

1.Pele played his best football at world cups

2. Europe wasn't at all where it was all at in the 60-70s, the South AmericAn league where as good if not better.

3. Exhibition games ? You're a clown

4. Youtube Pele.

The guy was the Bradman of football.

If you've heard of Bradman that is.
          It's a fact that he counted exhibition games towards his total. He scored 667 goals in competitive games.

http://www.bagsynotin.net/2010/04/pe...of-1000-goals/

Comment

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
            no it is true,ever scored 1000 goals, he claims hes scored over 1000 goals. The 60's and 70's europe was the best place to be and its always has been. Van baston, beckenbaer etc all played in europe not Brazil.

Pele cant be the don bradman of football as messi broke muellers record of 90 goals not peles.

And pele only played in 1 game in one of the world cup wins, and was injured for the rest of it, which proves they didnt even need him to win those 3 world cups.

And yes ive heard of don bradman, 99 average.

Messi>>>>pele in every aspect.
            So Europe had the best players in the 60-70s yet Brazil won the World Cup in 58,62 and 70 with little contribution from Pele?

While greats like Van Baston played there ?

Garrincha, Santos, Pereira, Djalma, ,Torres, Tostão, Clodoaldo, Gilmar, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Gérson.

All better players and barely set foot in Europe.

Also Muellers record of 90 ? pele scored 127 goals for Santos in 1959 as an 18 year old, a year after being the youngest player to play in a World Cup, score in a WC and scored a hat trick to boot. He also scored 100 goals in 1961,62 and 63.

Meanwhile Messi's world cup achievements sit just below an injured Wayne Rooneys.

Even Lionel himself admits he only dreams of matching Pele and Andy Carroll has more goals per major tournament.
            Last edited by Furn; 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

So Europe had the best players in the 60-70s yet Brazil won the World Cup in 58,62 and 70 with little contribution from Pele?

While greats like Van Baston played there ?

Garrincha, Santos, Pereira, Djalma, ,Torres, Tostão, Clodoaldo, Gilmar, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Gérson.

All better players and barely set foot in Europe.

Also Muellers record of 90 ? pele scored 127 goals for Santos in 1959 as an 18 year old, a year after being the youngest player to play in a World Cup, score in a WC and scored a hat trick to boot. He also scored 100 goals in 1961,62 and 63.

Meanwhile Messi's world cup achievements sit just below an injured Wayne Rooneys.

Even Lionel himself admits he only dreams of matching Pele and Andy Carroll has more goals per major tournament.
              Most of that is nonsense, mainly the part about how many goals Pele scored.

Also, Garrincha and Rivelino are the only 2 players in that list that are even comparable to Van Basten.

European football was always more competitive, even then. Go and watch any video of Pele playing for Santos and notice how poor the defending is.

Comment

Romario has also scored over 1000 goals i believe.

For me Messi has the potential to be the best ever. But he's not there yet. I dunno who is. Its not really fair to comment on past great cos ive only seen their best bits, havent watched them week in week out (or in european leagues once or twice a month if im honest). In my life time Zidane, Ronaldo (the fat buck teeth brazilain one), Van Basten are the 3 names that come to my head straight away as the best players who have retired.

Ill consider Messi and the other Ronaldo when they're retired. I dont think either have surpassed Zidane and Ronaldo yet. Could make an argument for Messi being above Van Basten though

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                  Most of that is nonsense, mainly the part about how many goals Pele scored.

Also, Garrincha and Rivelino are the only 2 players in that list that are even comparable to Van Basten.

European football was always more competitive, even then. Go and watch any video of Pele playing for Santos and notice how poor the defending is.
                  Regardless the Brazilian league back then was way better than than Spanish football which is just So close and competitive.

And Fifa.com seems to back Peles scoring record

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...63869/bio.html

I guess his scoring a hat trick in a WC semi is just stories and in every major tourny he played is story's unlike Messi's 3 goals in 4 major tournaments

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
                    Romario has also scored over 1000 goals i believe.

For me Messi has the potential to be the best ever. But he's not there yet. I dunno who is. Its not really fair to comment on past great cos ive only seen their best bits, havent watched them week in week out (or in european leagues once or twice a month if im honest). In my life time Zidane, Ronaldo (the fat buck teeth brazilain one), Van Basten are the 3 names that come to my head straight away as the best players who have retired.

Ill consider Messi and the other Ronaldo when they're retired. I dont think either have surpassed Zidane and Ronaldo yet. Could make an argument for Messi being above Van Basten though
                    You know Romario actually counted goals he scored in training too? lol

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
                      You know Romario actually counted goals he scored in training too? lol
                      yeah pele did too though didnt he? (couldn't be bothered reading the back and forth in this thread but i'd heard years ago pele's record was a tad exaggerated with exhibition games etc)

was mearly making a point that 1000 goals sounds great but doesnt make u the greatest ever. Mind u, prime Romario was an absolute beast. Shame he got injured for the world cup (in 98?) and had to play Bebeto with Ronaldo and Rivaldo, along with Denilson (most expensive payer in the world at the time) coming of the bench. Would loved to have seen Romario in the mix.

Comment

Working...
                      X