Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are my uppercuts and how can I improve them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are my uppercuts and how can I improve them?

Title pretty much says all. I threw a couple uppercuts, and I was wondering how they are and how I could improve them. There are no gyms near me, so I am forced to train on my own. I'm just looking for constructive criticism. If you're just going to come in here and make a post saying "LOL, U SUCK!!@#@!" or "get in a boxing gym", don't even bother posting, because I've said numerous times that there is not a single gym within hours of me.

Anyways, here is the short video. Looking for any and all constructive criticism.

Can't post links yet. Here is the code after the "v=" on YT: VV1_Y-tHIow

Also, I know someone is going to ask, as someone always does whenever I post a video...yes, I am a natural southpaw.

Comment

Thanks man. Is there any way I can improve them? I'm primarily an inside fighter, and my lead hook is already pretty good (in fact, it's my best punch), but I want to work on my uppercuts and rear hook so I have a bigger arsenal to work with and can "open up like a son of a *****" on the inside, as Tyson once said.

Comment

Yur to low, your out of balance I can see it! Have a friend push you in the side as your doing the workout and see if your to low by the waist bend or the knees you should be able to feel it. Also have him push you in the chest to make sure your weight is forward so you can't be top heavy.
        When Mike worked up and under he often squared off so his right and left hands were abit more equal but squareing off to long in front of a good fighter can get your introuble with balance alone. Also get your hands out away from you just abit, the punch is actually aimed at the chest and then brought up, you don't ain for the chin, the chin moves quickly the chest not so fast.
        Theres actually two upper cuts to throw theres straight up the shoot and theres one that crosses slightly as you bring it up and thats for hoping to catch the guys chin and turn it!!
        Theres a video of Lamotta on here shadowing at 90 yrs old he throws the upper cut that crosses. It statrs up the middle and ends with your right hand in front of your left shoulder. Its a great punch if you happen to slide that way too. Same with the left hand if you coordinated enough to pivot out and get on the opponents side to catch him in profile!! Thats what Tyson was taught because if you see your opponents head in profile theres no way hes hitting you and you have a clean shot of his jaw. All the good in fighters where taught pivots and stepping over to get angles, its part of getting in without getting hit. Demsey was very good at stepping out with his right foot and punching and If your a southpaw stay that way your gonna screw up inside if you don't concentrate on it. I trained a heavyweight southpaw in the late 70s who good punch like a mules kick and he had that problem of stepping over.
        good luck Ray.

Comment

Thanks!!!!

Comment

And yeah, my balance is off when throwing uppercuts. Doesn't happen when throwing hooks, just uppercuts, and I dunno why. But, maybe like you said, it's because I'm not squared up enough. I've heard that most peek-a-boo fighters square up more than other styles for precisely that reason (balance). Is that correct or false?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              is that you my foreign brother?

Comment

aware.

If you're aware and wondering if I am...

Yes, I am.

Comment

False! Its a mistake to square off if you do it you need to step out to the side of the opponent so your not in a bad position. As I said get a friend to give you light pushes on your shoulders, chest, hips etc you need to be balanced!! Check the width of your feet and if your to deep in the knees or to bent forward in the waist!!! Do these tests and then talk further!
                  I just rechecked your video you have your chin off your chest and in the air you need your punch to be more in front of your body raising up. Your shoulders need to be in your punches too!! This is the most difficult technique to learn when teaching how to gain power by sitting down on your punches. Can't really help you without demonstrating the shoulders involvment but you need to learn it. Most Mexican fighters who have old school trainers learn that technique first because it needs to be part of the punch and its not a natural movement. I'll see if I have some videos that can demo it for you. For now BALANCE! Ray

Comment

You're pivoting and pushing off with your left foot on BOTH of your uppercuts....use your right foot when firing those right uppercuts.

Comment

Working...
                    X