Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Hank Armstrong ever go up against a great boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    You don't have to agree with my opinion about Ross being the better fighter, but you can't change the fact he was trying to use lateral movement against Armstrong. Its right there on film, bro. You seem to be looking for a way to discredit Armstrong and are grasping a straws in the face of all the evidence you've been provided with.
    What you have here is a Floyd nuthugger who got butthurt because someone at some point implied that Armstrong was better than Floyd. It happens all the time over in NSB. Someone compares a past great favorably to a nuthugger's favorite current fighter and the nuthugger goes on the warpath to try and discredit the past great. It's just somewhat unusual for nuthuggers to bring it into the History Section.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      What you have here is a Floyd nuthugger who got butthurt because someone at some point implied that Armstrong was better than Floyd. It happens all the time over in NSB. Someone compares a past great favorably to a nuthugger's favorite current fighter and the nuthugger goes on the warpath to try and discredit the past great. It's just somewhat unusual for nuthuggers to bring it into the History Section.

Poet
      That's not it at all. I'm not even a fan of Floyd. I was using his style to give people an example of the kind of fighter Armstrong's handlers kept him away from.

I never tried to discredit anyone. I asked a question and gave my opinion based on what I've seen. Which is that Armstrong was protected from difficult styles and matched against styles that played into his strengths.

Comment

Poet
        Loc's a lot of things, but he's definitely not a Floyd nuthugger. I think he's presenting an at least decent case. Even if his premise is essentially flawed, I see what his logic is. But he's trying to apply modern boxing logic to the 40's boxing environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
          That's not it at all. I'm not even a fan of Floyd. I was using his style to give people an example of the kind of fighter Armstrong's handlers kept him away from.

I never tried to discredit anyone. I asked a question and gave my opinion based on what I've seen. Which is that Armstrong was protected from difficult styles and matched against styles that played into his strengths.
          You keep saying this and I keep asking you to name this people.

Can you name the fighters he was kept away from?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            Loc's a lot of things, but he's definitely not a Floyd nuthugger. I think he's presenting an at least decent case. Even if his premise is essentially flawed, I see what his logic is. But he's trying to apply modern boxing logic to the 40's boxing environment.
            I dunno, he's slurping over Floyd the way only a nuthugger could.

The problem with a bad premise is, that no matter how good your logic is your conclusion is still going to be wrong. A bad premise invalidates good logic the same way bad logic invalidates a good premise. Both must be correct if the conclusion is to be valid: That's the first thing they teach you in freshman logic at the university. In Loc's case, I don't see his logic as being much better then his premise.

Poet

Comment

I dunno, he's slurping over Floyd the way only a nuthugger could.

The problem with a bad premise is, that no matter how good your logic is your conclusion is still going to be wrong. A bad premise invalidates good logic the same way bad logic invalidates a good premise. Both must be correct if the conclusion is to be valid: That's the first thing they teach you in freshman logic at the university. In Loc's case, I don't see his logic as being much better then his premise.

Poet

Implying you need college to understand something as basic as logic.

Implying anyone in this thread has refuted the opening post.

Implying Barney Ross and Floyd Mayweather are the same fighter.

Implying pink font is cute.

Comment

Implying you need college to understand something as basic as logic.

Implying anyone in this thread has refuted the opening post.

Implying Barney Ross and Floyd Mayweather are the same fighter.

Implying pink font is cute.

You're opening post has been refuted plenty of times, you then just proceed to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  You're opening post has been refuted plenty of times, you then just proceed to ignore it.
                  I got Barney Ross, who did nothing but stand in front of Armstrong and get plowed.

Then I got a bunch of names with no video evidence.

You can take their word for it, but I want to verify.

This is where we differ.

Comment

I got Barney Ross, who did nothing but stand in front of Armstrong and get plowed.

Then I got a bunch of names with no video evidence.

You can take their word for it, but I want to verify.

This is where we differ.
                    It's already been explained to you; Ross tried to box, but, Armstrong's ability to get inside and stay inside was clearly too much for Ross, an ATG boxer.

You ask "Has Armstrong ever fought a great boxer" there is your answer, in black and white English. Barney Ross is a great boxer. The fact his stratergy failed to work against one of the greatest pressure fighters of all time doesn't change that fact.

You've been given other examples, like Wolgast, Angott, and others.

You've been given examples that unfortunately have no footage. But, despite there being no footage or known footage. It still answers your question.

Just because you go and watch it and see that the certain fighter couldn't box because the ring was being cut off so well and the pressure was being brought so well doesn't mean they aren't great boxers. Does that not function to you? That perhaps Armstrong stopped them from using their game plan?

Like I said, you've been given example after example that directly answers your question and all you do in response is dismiss it and act like the example wasn't given Your question was answered on the first page.

And, again, you keep saying his mangers and team kept him away from skilled boxers, for the umpteenth time, who are these boxers he avoided?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      It's already been explained to you; Ross tried to box, but, Armstrong's ability to get inside and stay inside was clearly too much for Ross, an ATG boxer.

You ask "Has Armstrong ever fought a great boxer" there is your answer, in black and white English. Barney Ross is a great boxer. The fact his stratergy failed to work against one of the greatest pressure fighters of all time doesn't change that fact.

You've been given other examples, like Wolgast, Angott, and others.

You've been given examples that unfortunately have no footage. But, despite there being no footage or known footage. It still answers your question.

Just because you go and watch it and see that the certain fighter couldn't box because the ring was being cut off so well and the pressure was being brought so well doesn't mean they aren't great boxers. Does that not function to you? That perhaps Armstrong stopped them from using their game plan?

Like I said, you've been given example after example that directly answers your question and all you do in response is dismiss it and act like the example wasn't given You're question was answered on the first page.

And, again, you keep saying his mangers and team kept him away from skilled boxers, for the umpteenth time, who are these boxers he avoided?
                      If there's no footage, there is no empirical answer.

Hearsay from old timers doesn't count because accounts vary from person to person and the sport is highly subjective and politicized. Especially over generations.

Son's take what their fathers say at face value and perpetuate myths.

Ross was not slick. I don't care how many times you repeat it, I saw the goddamn fight. So stop trying to convince me that I saw something other than what I saw because it ain't working.

He had zero movement and zero strategy and got steamrolled.

Comment

Working...
                      X