Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the boxing sanctioning bodies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better idea, but it would still mean lost titles left & right.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
      I once heard that same day weigh ins were worse for boxers health. Because they would still dehydrate themselfs then rehydrate. I once was thinking that they should weigh in just before they enter the ring, no one would dehydrate themselfs that way.

I haven't seen anything that proves it was more dangerous for a fighter in the 50's making same day weight and with less weight classes than it is with fighters today weighing in the day before. If a fighter needs to totally drain himself he doesn't belong at that weight. If he CHOOSES to drain himself and try and cheat the specified weight class than he shouldn't be rewarded with extra time to recuperate. That is more dangerous to an opponent who comes in naturally and it cheats the integrity of that particular division.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        A better idea, but it would still mean lost titles left & right.
        At first yes. But day before weigh in is a relatively new thing compared to the history of same day weigh ins, and it had always worked before. I see no reason to take the luster and integrity away from a championship fight just to help line a promoters pocket. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          You couldn't do it that way. What happens if a fighter doesn't make the weight? He has no time to go away & sweat out whatever additional weight he's carrying.
          They would just have to closely monitor their weight. And fight at the weight they train at.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I haven't seen anything that proves it was more dangerous for a fighter in the 50's making same day weight and with less weight classes than it is with fighters today weighing in the day before. If a fighter needs to totally drain himself he doesn't belong at that weight. If he CHOOSES to drain himself and try and cheat the specified weight class than he shouldn't be rewarded with extra time to recuperate. That is more dangerous to an opponent who comes in naturally and it cheats the integrity of that particular division.
            Boxers would cutt far less weight it might be a little healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              Boxers would cutt far less weight it might be a little healthier.

It would be healthier for the fighter, the opponent, and it would be fair. There are to many weight classes that this shouldn't work when it worked for far longer with less divisions.

Comment

In Pennsylvania they still do same day weigh-in.

Maybe is not the sanctioning bodies, but the state commissions that should do it. Pennsylvania does it. However, I don't know if they make and exception title fights.

Comment

I would also like to see the sanctioning bodies get rid of the 105 pound division.

Have 108 pound weight-class be the minimum. And, in return the division would much deeper. Most of the 105lber can compete at 108 anyways. It is really rare when you see a fighter that is a small 108lber. I mean how many Ivan Calderon's could there be?

Comment

It would be healthier for the fighter, the opponent, and it would be fair. There are to many weight classes that this shouldn't work when it worked for far longer with less divisions.
                    I think you might be right, boxers likely would not even cutt weight if it was same day weigh in. Back in the 50s it might have been a benifit because like you say there were less weight classes. With the small amount of weight bettween weight classes now they might rather just want to fight at their normal training weight. It would be a better system then what I was thinking with likely the same results and they could allways sweat off a pound or two if their weight happened to fluctuate the wrong way.

Comment

At first yes. But day before weigh in is a relatively new thing compared to the history of same day weigh ins, and it had always worked before. I see no reason to take the luster and integrity away from a championship fight just to help line a promoters pocket. Jmo.
                      Oh, don't misunderstand me --- I was just saying what would happen. not calling it a good or a bad thing. Thinking out loud, more or less.

Comment

Working...
                      X