Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any programs that can help me pay back my student loans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
    good job & i agree get a job & start making payments...we all have debt that we bring on & it must be paid or the interest will just keep adding up. i have paid off loans totalling $35000. i didn't always make the money i do now. when i started ironworking construction was slow & i had to go to trade school. i ate mac & cheese, hotdogs & shared a house with several people but i always made my payments. wages were lower & i had years i made $30000 but i found a way. i was out of my parents house at 19 & had to learn to budget & do everything on my own. i worked in a bar, drove courier, worked in a car wash & restaurant until i decided to get a real job. i got into ironworking at 22 & i never looked back.
    The funny thing is, that in this economy there are plenty (with student loan debt) who'd be glad to make $30k. And that's $30k after inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
      You do?

Never heard of that.

I remember my loan payments being manageable and my interest rate was reasonable whatever crap job I had to work at.

It took a while to pay off but then again so does every other loan you have later in your life when you go onto big boy expenses.
      I'm guessing he meant that the interest rate hikes and required payments kick in after 6 months.

Comment

I really don't remember, but it seems like the Peace Core may offer this as well. I'm not sure, you can look it up though.

I don't know your situation, whether you consider it an option or desirable to consider teaching in poor communities, or teaching English abroad (I could point you to a couple of websites, which will get results. The main requirement is a college degree.), or joining the peace core or something of the sort. These are just the potential solutions I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
          You do?

Never heard of that.

I remember my loan payments being manageable and my interest rate was reasonable whatever crap job I had to work at.

It took a while to pay off but then again so does every other loan you have later in your life when you go onto big boy expenses.
          I have the official site bookmarked, where it clearly states you have to start paying back your student loans after 6 months of graduation. Something like a grace period to get settled and get a job, and start your monthly payment after those 6 months.

If I find it, i'll post it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            I have the official site bookmarked, where it clearly states you have to start paying back your student loans after 6 months of graduation. Something like a grace period to get settled and get a job, and start your monthly payment after those 6 months.

If I find it, i'll post it.

Ok the operative word here is "start".

Got you now.

I remember having a bad spell or two and they always worked with me on deferrals.

Comment

Working...
            X