No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Saunders Sees British Title as Path To Bigger Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Saunders Sees British Title as Path To Bigger Fights

Billy Joe Saunders insists even King Kong would be unable to prevent him from realizing his boyhood dream of winning the vacant British title.

The 2008 Olympian meets Nick Blackwell at London's ExCel on the undercard of Ricky Burns' WBO world lightweight title defence on Saturday night.

Saunders already holds the Commonwealth middleweight belt, but he believes it is the British crown that will propel him to big fights against domestic rivals Darren Barker and Mathew Macklin.

"This British title is all I've ever wanted since I've been five or six years old and I first went to the gym. Even King Kong wouldn't take it off me," the 23-year-old said.
    [Click Here To Read More]

frank warren has done an amazing job managing saunders so far he has"t rushed him he"s just taken him from fight to fight improving with each fight he has had thus far.in my opinion saunders is one of the best prospects in the world at the moment and the way he"s going a world title in 2013 would"t be a surprise.

Comment

Hopefully B.J.S treats the Lonsdale belt with the respect it deserves & goes on to win it out-right. He could have done with a few low key undercard fights on the continenent by now, but his career seems to be moving in the right direction.

Comment

Our domestic scene is quite strong in that division so if he does mess around wit the British title, I hope it's against the best aka Macklin/Murray/McEwan/Barker. Otherwise he should venture further a field and wait for those fights to happen down the line.

I'd like to see him against Brian Vera next.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          Our domestic scene is quite strong in that division so if he does mess around wit the British title, I hope it's against the best aka Macklin/Murray/McEwan/Barker. Otherwise he should venture further a field and wait for those fights to happen down the line.

I'd like to see him against Brian Vera next.
          Some incredible fights there.

Even Blackwell is a good fight, too.

Warren would have to out of his way to make a bad fight for BJS now.

Comment

As long as Saunders ain't packing glass, he'll do big things.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              As long as Saunders ain't packing glass, he'll do big things.
              I agree.

He looks solid though, but I was stone-cold certain Kevin Mitchell was going to be a world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                I agree.

He looks solid though, but I was stone-cold certain Kevin Mitchell was going to be a world champion.
                Yeah I've got to be honest I thought he would do Katsidis in straightforward fashion.

that's still probably the most wrong i've been about a fighter.

What makes it weird is that Prescott has gone on to show he is ACTUALLY a decent fighter since then, not just a one hit wonder

who knows.

Comment

I don't see Blackwell as a good fight tbh.

Best fight on that card is Smith-O'Meara because their levels are so close. Not just that but look at Jarrod Fletcher, top Australian amateur who was mauled by BJS in mere minutes.

I want someone who's experienced enough to not succumb to BJS's onslaughts and good enough to not get outboxed for 12 rounds by his jab either. It'll be a decent fight for as long as it lasts but I really want to see BJS tested properly.

Comment

His last opponent was actually a good test imo, and was easily dealt with.

The bloke was certainly no mug.

Comment

Working...
                    X