Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you classify a fighter as elite and who do you consider elite?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you classify a fighter as elite and who do you consider elite?

Talking in another thread today got me thinking how does one classify a fighter as an elite fighter and who all does everyone think is an elite fighter today?

It depends on if you are asking elite within a division, or elite within the entire sport.

Within the entire sport, I am very strict. Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Ward, Wlad, and probably Martinez are the only elite fighters in the sport if we are talking everyone. To make that list, for me anyway, you have to be a special, special fighter, someone who is levels above your competition. There are more fighters with the potential to be elite, but until they prove it I'm not giving them that designation.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      It depends on if you are asking elite within a division, or elite within the entire sport.

Within the entire sport, I am very strict. Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Ward, Wlad, and probably Martinez are the only elite fighters in the sport if we are talking everyone. To make that list, for me anyway, you have to be a special, special fighter, someone who is levels above your competition. There are more fighters with the potential to be elite, but until they prove it I'm not giving them that designation.
      what fighters do you believe are on the verge? I would say Mares, Moreno, Donaire, Broner, Gamboa, Rios, Garcia, Alvarez, Chavez, & thats about all i can think of off the top of my head

Comment

also you wouldnt consider Vitali as elite anymore?

Comment

If ur the kind of guy its hard to see lose, ur elite

For example, Prime Floyd was difficult to see lose... U had hopes for guys like Miguel Cotto, or Margarito, or Pacquiao, but he would be the favorite in all those fights, and at worst, its 6-40 (bare in mind, I'm thinking PRIME Floyd)

Pacquiao, Ward, and Wlad are the only other elites today

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy Greg View Post
            also you wouldnt consider Vitali as elite anymore?
            I hate to say it, because I like Vitali more, but he's at the end, and he's not elite anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy Greg View Post
              what fighters do you believe are on the verge? I would say Mares, Moreno, Donaire, Broner, Gamboa, Rios, Garcia, Alvarez, Chavez, & thats about all i can think of off the top of my head
              Donaire should be elite, but his recent performances don't justify it. Moreno and Gamboa are both close. I don't think Mares can be elite, but he definitely has a chance to prove me wrong very soon. Really, whoever comes out on top among those at 122 will be elite.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Donaire should be elite, but his recent performances don't justify it. Moreno and Gamboa are both close. I don't think Mares can be elite, but he definitely has a chance to prove me wrong very soon. Really, whoever comes out on top among those at 122 will be elite.
                problem is i dont think we will ever get the chance to see that happen unless Uncle Bob kicks the bucket. Mares & moreno GBP, Donaire TR, & who knows where Gamboa is even fighting, if and when he ever fights again... Listening to Floyd & Ellerbe has hugely hurt his career...

Comment

I look for dominance and some sort of reign. Elite fighters are ones who I can't ever imagine being outclassed as long as they aren't shot. If they're outclassed, it only happened once.

Prizefighters I back -
                  Mayweather
                  Hopkins

Rigondeaux
                  Ward
                  Brook
                  Garcia
                  Lara
                  Martinez
                  Marquez
                  Nishioka

The names in bold are elite operators.

Comment

Let's look at the definition: Elite - the most powerful, rich, gifted, or educated members of a group.

It's about standing out from the rest, having qualities that the majority don't possess.

IMO, "Elite" has two layers: a fighter's skill-set/experience/resume and their star-power/earning potential/notoriety. Both have to be cultivated over time. Analyzing a fighter's status from a macro level is the only time I bring up the word "elite". When I'm referring to their status within a division, I'll just say "he's a top fighter".

is Khan an "elite" fighter? No. Is he a "top" fighter? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X