Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people act like Boxing is not effective in a street fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus, in order to take you down, MMA guys have to drop their hands in most cases. A solid uppercut to the chin would fix them right up.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      Not a clue. . . Most street fights begin with somebody clocking the other off guard anyway. . . So if you know how to punch, most likely you're going to render him unconscious, or make him so woozy to where he won't be able to do anything.

But if you square up with somebody, and your only background is boxing, I think you'd be at a severe disadvantage.
      hey, would you be willing to meet somebody that knows how to box in a sanctioned ring? Ofcourse we will record this wholesale slaughter in an octagon. I'd have to pass the gig on up so give me sometime. whats your weight? I believe that I could find numerous fighters that will dispell that mythe for you............Rockin'

Comment

If you are a trained boxer and fight on the street against someone who isn't trained in anything, of course you have an advantage.

If you face an MMA fighter who is skilled in grappling, boxing, kick boxing etc, the pure boxer is at a disadvantage.

I train at a gym where there are some Brazilian MMA pro fighters, and I can tell you as long as I have been boxing and all the experience I have, I wouldn't fight some of them for all the money in the world. There's this one dude who had 30+ bare knuckle fights in Brazil and is a black belt champion in Ju-Jitsu.

If I don't hit him with the first few punches, I'm a dead man. Let's not kid ourselves, boxing is a sport, not fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
          people usually got for the one punch hayemaker.

i dont hit unless hit first.
          this is too easy sweet meat.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
            i would spark triggerhappy out. now that i know hes only 2 inches taller than me. i thought he was like 6 3 or some shet.
            Never underestimate the smaller guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
              I've always wondered the same thing. I've only boxed at a gym for about 3 months (and haven't been to one in about 6 months), but I've been training on my own, and I STILL have 10 times the training than the average person (still looking for a new gym, though).

I'm not even that great, but, unlike the average person, I know to keep my hands up, tuck my chin, always move, and block my chin when throwing punches, so I already have an advantage. I'd even go further and say that I'd even have an advantage over an MMA guy. If you keep your distance, use the jab, and use good movement, he shouldn't even have a chance to take you down. If he does, I'm not a small guy. I'm 5'11.5" and 210 pounds (not the biggest, but I'm <10% bodyfat and am MUCH stronger than the average gym-goer), so chances are, he won't be doing himself any favors by going to the ground with me.
              it's a lot of technique once you're on the ground, not so much strength. i used to do judo for a while and guys who were eighty pounds lighter than me were tossing me like a caeser salad.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                Not a clue. . . Most street fights begin with somebody clocking the other off guard anyway. . . So if you know how to punch, most likely you're going to render him unconscious, or make him so woozy to where he won't be able to do anything.

But if you square up with somebody, and your only background is boxing, I think you'd be at a severe disadvantage.
                Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by Trigg Happpy! View Post
                  Where do you live?
                  i am not sure but i do know he's never had a real fight in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                    i am not sure but i do know he's never had a real fight in his life.
                    Ya, pug has never seen blood. I'm from Flatbush Brooklyn and I've unfortunately been in tons of street fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                      it's a lot of technique once you're on the ground, not so much strength. i used to do judo for a while and guys who were eighty pounds lighter than me were tossing me like a caeser salad.
                      Well, I know it takes technique, but we're talking abut fighting the average person here. I DID say MMA fighters, but I meant more along the lines of MMA beginners who think they're hard and wear Tapout t-shirts after a week in the gym.

Obviously it takes technique, but I'm willing to bet that my strength can overrule a lot of technique, as most MMA fighters don't even lift.

Comment

Working...
                      X