Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Speaking English Required to be the Face of Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Speaking English Required to be the Face of Boxing?

Most of the faces over the years did so. In fact, I think they all did. If Canelo is the new face, can he be so without speaking English? I mean, he can learn I'm sure, but what if he refuses? Chavez, Sr. never would speak it. Neither would Duran. Morales and Barrera didn't either and of course, they never achieved as much fame as Pacquaio who of course, does speak English. Marquez wouldn't speak it either, but he was never number one either. I wonder if we'll see him speaking it soon...

After all, Golovkin already does. Not sure about Roman Gonzalez though.

To be THE man, I think so. Canelo may prove me wrong, but if you're going to be the biggest headliner in the sport, then yeah I think command of the Enlish language is necessary. Of course you named some exceptions and I'd add Tito to that list, but as you said, they were never the absolute biggest in the sport.

I remember a few years ago they said Canelo was learning English and I'm sure I've heard him use it, I don't know what happened.

Comment

Of course not, but it probably helps quite a bit as (unless I'm mistaken) most of the revenue comes from markets that speak alot of english.

Comment

In America...YES.

Comment

It's no issue to me at all.

But in terms of crossing over to casuals and non fans, marketing ect. Then probably yes.

Comment

It would help Canelo a lot If he could speak proper fluent English but he's done pretty damn good for what he's achieved.

Comment

Unquestionably. If you want to be the man in American boxing, you absolutely need to speak English. You don't even need to be American, you just need to speak above Borat levels of English (hint hint GGG). Even Pac who barely speaks English can at least digest questions and give some semblance of an answer.

Comment

It certainly helps

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
                  To be THE man, I think so. Canelo may prove me wrong, but if you're going to be the biggest headliner in the sport, then yeah I think command of the Enlish language is necessary. Of course you named some exceptions and I'd add Tito to that list, but as you said, they were never the absolute biggest in the sport.

I remember a few years ago they said Canelo was learning English and I'm sure I've heard him use it, I don't know what happened.
                  He gassed half way through his lessons.

Comment

One needs to speak just enough to connect with fans. If they see you're putting an effort towards it, that is sometimes good enough too.

I remember how Barrera and Marquez were both learning as their careers progressed and they became better and better over time. It definitely helped Cotto and Manny. GGG made an instant connection as well.

Canelo has said a couple of words in English but hasn't really connected yet all the way yet imo. Still room to grow there

Comment

Working...
                    X