Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Marciano not retired would Patterson have become champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised he was never tempted to come out of retirement..

Comment

Would have been fantastic for Marciano's legacy to go out with a win over Patterson. 50-0 closing out with a win over a future ATG/HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
        Would have been fantastic for Marciano's legacy to go out with a win over Patterson. 50-0 closing out with a win over a future ATG/HOFer.
        Sounds good, but I don't think D'Amato ever allows Floyd to get in the ring with Marciano. The plan all along was to succeed Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          After watching Archie Moore give Marciano hell in the Rock's final fight. Who honestly would have predicted Patterson's masterful display against Moore to win the title? By KO too! The guy was ludicruously quick.

If the fight hadn't actually happened how would a poll '1956 Archie Moore vs Floyd Patterson who wins?' go down in these parts? I think most would pick Archie and probably by KO. Floyd's chances at head to head matches are often overlooked due to his less than stellar chin......but it didn't always let him down.

Patterson could be quite superb at times and a victory over the Rocky that met Moore wouldn't be by any means ridiculous.

I'd put my money on the Rock pulling off a late/behind on points victory in 1956. But an upset wouldn't be a huge surprise......
          Good point.

Moore was a good size for Patterson. Yet marciano was not big in the way that Liston was...with reach and explosive power, so there is a chance that he does not overwhelm Patterson. Patterson's problem is that he can't really keep Marciano at bay...better fighters had tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            I'd say it had been highly unlikely as his glass jaw would most likely succumb to the Rock's power...
            GOOD question!

Are we keeping Marciano's injuries in tact in this scenario or are we saying he battled through to fight for a couple more years minimum? Cos as Rocky himself said, he couldn't even bend down to tie his shoelaces so I don't know how he would have handled Patterson's speed, mobility and youth. He could have taken a wide points loss or even gotten hurt in rounds 11, 12, 13 etc.

If Marciano can get through the pain or his injuries improve, he can catch Patterson, slow him down, hurt him, stop him.

Comment

Working...
            X