Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most terrifying natural disaster?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pandemic... a virus spreading like the one that causes SARS is damn terrifying...

Comment

i'd hate a tsunami to happen where i was staying , shiz must be terrifying.

Comment

the worst would obviously be an impact with a big space rock.

if a big enough rock hits earth we are all done. they are global events on the large scale. a big enough rock (planet sized,) would turn earth into molten rock and dust.

if we're talking about likely events, and worry within reason, i worry about floods the most. i don't care how the water rises. i pay extra for flood insurance for my business, as i'm located in a low lying industrial park. my parents live very close to the atlantic. a heavy enough storm surge (blizzard of '78 or higher,) or god forbid an atlantic tsunami, and their house and lives would be in danger. they pay out the ass for flood insurance.

my house is up high, doe, and in a very sturdy brick building. insuring my condo for the year costs me less than it costs to insure my car

i really don't have to worry about mah house, only my folks' house.

Comment

Disease for sure, at least Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tsunami's are over once they strike, a disease lingers (potentially) forever.

Gamma Ray Burst would be a cool as hell way to die. It'd also be super-quick which makes it P4P #1 on my "favourite ways to die" list. It would wipe out the entire world though by KO1.
          Last edited by Barn; 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM. Reason: horrible error

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Disease for sure, at least Earthquakes and Tsunami's are over once they strike, a disease lingers (potentially) forever.

Gamma Ray Burst would be cool as hell and I'm sure there would be some super cool light display in the sky due to the longer wavelength light emitted as well. It'd also be super-quick which makes it P4P #1 on my "favourite ways to die" list.

disease.

rofl.

f#ck, dogs, there's a tsunami coming to destroy everything within a few miles of the shore, but i'm more worried about this latest run of influenza.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              disease.

rofl.

f#ck, dogs, there's a tsunami coming to destroy everything within a few miles of the shore, but i'm more worried about this latest run of influenza.
              The thing I said about the lightshow was BS and I have no idea why I thought that would happen, had to edit it out.

That'd be cool about a gamma ray burst though, you wouldn't see it until it ****ed you.

I was assuming we were talking about deadly diseases, at least with a Tsunami you can see your impending doom and you don't just suddenly start to die one day.

Comment

this used to be a village...

Comment

I fail to see your point. A killer disease epidemic would kill more people than a Tsunami that affects certain areas. A killer disease that strikes hard before vaccinations can be developed has potential to cause serious damage across the entire globe. We've already seen disease epidemics kill between 50 and 100 million people. There's currently the AIDS virus that there is no cure for. The fact disease is a very real threat adds to the fear factor and a disease is more likely to cause mass death across the globe than a Tsunami unless you're talking about an out of this world disaster movie-esque Tsunami but I figured we'd stick to being realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    The thing I said about the lightshow was BS and I have no idea why I thought that would happen, had to edit it out.

That'd be cool about a gamma ray burst though, you wouldn't see it until it ****ed you.

I was assuming we were talking about deadly diseases, at least with a Tsunami you can see your impending doom and you don't just suddenly start to die one day.
                    Honestly, I think I'd rather just be wiped out via space KO before I knew what hit me than to actually experience the terror of being caught in a tsunami firsthand. At least with the space KOs it's over quick, with a super tsunami you see it bearing down on you from miles away, and you have a brief period of time to try to survive before being painfully KO'd in one or two rounds (waves).

Super tsunami = Fighting prime Mike Tyson. The fear, the very real sense of impending danger, and the pitiful attempt to survive it.

Plus I think dying via drowning while being bludgeoned to death with wooden debris, the corpses of your friends, and a torrent of barely functioning automobiles from the early 1970s would totally blow.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                      Honestly, I think I'd rather just be wiped out via space KO before I knew what hit me than to actually experience the terror of being caught in a tsunami firsthand. At least with the space KOs it's over quick, with a super tsunami you see it bearing down on you from miles away, and you have a brief period of time to try to survive before being painfully KO'd in one or two rounds (waves).

Super tsunami = Fighting prime Mike Tyson. The fear, the very real sense of impending danger, and the pitiful attempt to survive it.

Plus I think dying via drowning while being bludgeoned to death with wooden debris, the corpses of your friends, and a torrent of barely functioning automobiles from the early 1970s would totally blow.
                      I personally feel being murked by lava while choking on dust and having rocks landing on you via VOLCANO DEATH is the worst prospect on the list.

Gamma Burst would wreck us so bad but you wouldn't know it was coming until it did, which would be nice.

However, a large body striking the Earth would have been tracked for years and you'd probably know the exact date you were going to be vaporized by the energy dispersion on impact.
                      Last edited by Barn; 08-14-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X