Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ward beats Dawson should get be considers #1 p4p?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    If not Barker then who?
    Anyone.

I'd take anyone over Darren Barker. A guy who had only fought above Domestic level a single time his entire career.

And, that single time, he looked no better than average against Spada. Which was at European level.

That being the only fight he'd had since his lay off due to injury.

He'd done absolutely nothing to earn a shot at Martinez at this point. A guy who was argubaly the P4P #1 at that time, no lower than Top 3.

I would have taken anyone in the Top 20 over Barker. Who of course, was no where near that ranking.

Comment

Well, he gives Canelo credit so you go figure that one out.
      (Probably not a very good example since you don't have a problem with Canelo's moves either)
      lol brother how many times do i need to tell you that fighters do not match themselves.

ugh. not this again let's got over, for one last time, my stance on the movement of canelo alvarez.

there are two fighters on the planet who can say "i'm fighting X and nobody else:"
      pacquiao and mayweather jr.

i give canelo plenty of credit as well. he's one of the best young fighters around. that is what it is. he's good, and he's 22. no amateur background. lots of pro fights, but 22 years old.

you're just mad that he's not fighting lara
      it is what it is.

if i controlled top flight fighters they'd make bank (in 20 years, i want to manage fighters. i have my own career to worry about first.)

if you guys controlled them they wouldnt even eat
      or make it out of their professional infancy.
      you'd match them like a fan. that's not how they're matched.

if you control a fighter you keep his interests in mind, and no one else's. nobody is going to pay his bills for him when he's retired.

you dont want him to take a single unnecessary punch. not one. you dont want him in a dull fight if you can avoid it. and you certainly dont want him to lose until he gets an extra zero or two on his paycheck first.

if lara gets himself a fanbase that won't fit in his backyard then he'll command bigger fights. right now canelo is not fighting a southpaw cuban with a great amateur background and a style that's going to look like sh#t, win or lose. he is in the building stage of his career. a green strap of leather on his waist means nothing. i dont understand why that is not clear.

you dont put your guy in his first ppv against a guy who will not be entertaining. why do you tihnk they went for aggressors in ortiz, kirkland, and williams?

the issue with canelo's next fight is the weight
      lopez is coming off of his best win. he's young, crowd pleasing, and mexican (there's a huge appeal there to a mexican fanbase, even if he's not a star.)

the issue is that he moved up from jr ww, and was a LW.
      if course i'd like to see canelo fight bigger guys. hell, i'd love to see him fight jr. but it's not happening yet.

he'll fight floyd in 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Anyone.

I'd take anyone over Darren Barker. A guy who had only fought above Domestic level a single time his entire career.

And, that single time, he looked no better than average against Spada. Which was at European level.

That being the only fight he'd had since his lay off due to injury.

He'd done absolutely nothing to earn a shot at Martinez at this point. A guy who was argubaly the P4P #1 at that time, no lower than Top 3.

I would have taken anyone in the Top 20 over Barker. Who of course, was no where near that ranking.

he was beat up by a group of thugs, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          he was beat up by a group of thugs, right?
          He was, yes.

But the lay off if I remember correctly was due to re-occurring hip injury. He's had surgery on it.

Comment

I can see how this is a problem. Especially in a fight like this one. Why is Ward getting all the advantages in this fight? Wtf is Dawson getting in return, Ward's belts if he wins? What good are those belts for him when he doesn't even fight at that weight class and if he decides to stay I doubt he would be able to make the weight for much longer (granted he makes weight vs Ward w/o being drained).
            For this fight, Oakland is not a problem, it's the only place they'll sell more than 2k tickets. The weight, yes, Gary Shaw said they wanted a catchweight at least, and were refused.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              He was, yes.

But the lay off if I remember correctly was due to re-occurring hip injury. He's had surgery on it.

how old is he?

that's typically an older man's injury

Comment

• Originally posted by ShovelThumb View Post
                and if Dawson beats Ward where would you put him?
                Hypothetically Ward/Hopkins x2/Johnson x2/Tarver x2/Adamek isn't too shabby either I'm aware some of them can be classed as against fighters past their prime..
                It's very good, he goes to 3 with some distance between him and 4. If Pac looks bad next, Dawson is 2.

In fact if he wins, his resume is better than Ward's, should Ward win.

Comment

• i cannot believe people are finding issues with the best fight of the year

ward - dawson is the best fight of the year. top dogs in their primes.

dawson volunteered to fight at 168
                  the fight has not happened yet. he has not shown up weight drained and zombie like.

if that happens then perhaps you can complain about it.

you know what bscene is for many?
                  a chance to vent

Comment

how old is he?

that's typically an older man's injury
                    Late 20's, early 30's. Somewhere around there. He's been a pro a while now.

Comment

i cannot believe people are finding issues with the best fight of the year

ward - dawson is the best fight of the year. top dogs in their primes.

dawson volunteered to fight at 168
                      the fight has not happened yet. he has not shown up weight drained and zombie like.

if that happens then perhaps you can complain about it.

you know what bscene is for many?
                      a chance to vent
                      I'm still surprised it was made. It's the type of fight that just does not happen enough. I'm still waiting for the injury or issue that cancels it, it's hard to believe the two best fighters in two divisions next to each other are going to fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X