No announcement yet.

Duran Didn't Quit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran Didn't Quit

Duran didn't quit..he halted the boxing match..big difference.I'm tired of the
    ''no-mas" ridiculous statement and I'm gonna enlighten people.Simply put,
    Leonard won the match,but he didn't beat Duran.Duran halted the boxing
    match out of spite and anger to Leonard,not weakness.
    A good metaphor would be a parent driving his children to the beach for
    a vacation.Along the way,the children are "misbehaving" in the
    back seat
    The parent then says,"If you don't stop i'm gonna pull this car over and
    halt this trip"..Duran halted the boxing match because Leonard was
    misbehaving.Duran was not going to be beat in a "ridiculous" fashion..
    and he didn't.Duran only got beat by Leonard in the third fight..that's it.
    When Leonard was "horsing around" with Duran,Duran simply
    said in his mind "IF you don't want to fight,then we won't fight,watch this"
    and he halted the fight!..Leonard even acknowledges he never got full
    credit,because he simply didn't "beat"Duran in that fight,Duran didn't
    let him.

i don't think that's how it works.

Comment

You can fill a book praising Duran's greatness. But he quit like a dog in that fight and any other version of it is delusional. It's really not an opinion as much as a fact.
      Last edited by Scott9945; 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Duran was still fit. He should have tried different strategies, hell he should have started fouling Leonard. Anything was better than what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          You can fill a book praising Duran's greatness. But he quit like a dog in that fight and any other version of it is delusional. It's really not an opinion as much as a fact.
          I'm glad you said this. I've always felt this way but you saying it validates this fact even more so.

Comment

Fouling him would have been better? Really? Whats that the tyson way of quiting?
            Duran retired and should have been suspended along with being fined! Ray

Comment

no mas makes up part of Durans greatness

Comment

Leonard was running the entire fight and Duran basically said, hey if you don't want to fight then what's the point. I won't ever hold that against him.

Comment

Originally posted by toooooool View Post
                  Duran didn't quit..he halted the boxing match..big difference.I'm tired of the
                  ''no-mas" ridiculous statement and I'm gonna enlighten people.Simply put,
                  Leonard won the match,but he didn't beat Duran.Duran halted the boxing
                  match out of spite and anger to Leonard,not weakness.
                  A good metaphor would be a parent driving his children to the beach for
                  a vacation.Along the way,the children are "misbehaving" in the
                  back seat
                  The parent then says,"If you don't stop i'm gonna pull this car over and
                  halt this trip"..Duran halted the boxing match because Leonard was
                  misbehaving.Duran was not going to be beat in a "ridiculous" fashion..
                  and he didn't.Duran only got beat by Leonard in the third fight..that's it.
                  When Leonard was "horsing around" with Duran,Duran simply
                  said in his mind "IF you don't want to fight,then we won't fight,watch this"
                  and he halted the fight!..Leonard even acknowledges he never got full
                  credit,because he simply didn't "beat"Duran in that fight,Duran didn't
                  let him.

I think you'd probably find that many psychologists/psychiatrists would list 'spite and anger' as forms of weakness.

By this standard, any boxer who has quit on their stool between rounds of their own accord (rather than by a cornerman's advice) are to be held in higher esteem than those brave warriors who take their beatings like true men.

The simple truth behind Leonard vs Duran 2 was that Roberto was not in as good shape as he had been for the first fight. He'd lost two much weight too quickly, may well have been suffering stomach issues and simply didn't have enough gas in the tank for 15 rounds. The Duran from fight 1 surely wouldn't have quit/pulled a 'no mas'/stopped the fight out of spite even if Leonard had turned up with his tactics from fight 2.

If Duran hadn't quit at that point, he'd have probably been stopped on sheer exhaustion at some later point.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                    Leonard was running the entire fight and Duran basically said, hey if you don't want to fight then what's the point. I won't ever hold that against him.
                    If you had paid top dollar to sit ringside you'd probably feel differently. I know that I felt cheated out of the PPV money that I spent.

Comment

Working...
                    X