Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Wlad Klitschko rule the entire Boxing World if weight classes were abolished?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockyIV View Post
    Wow no need to bite my head off. I think it is a better question still, because the idea of no weight classes is stupid. Of course vlad would still dominate, thats why hardly anyone in the smaller weight classes challenges him. Otherwise they would be doing it.

The only point I was making is his size gives him an unfair advantage and it would be interesting to see him against someone he can't lean on all night who has a comparative skill level.
    Jesus Christ dude, you're clueless

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
      Would Floyd Mayweather be so succesfull without his speed and reflex? The answer is an obvious no.
      Exactly. Some of these guys make it seem like size isn't an important attribute that goes right along with natural speed and power that some fighters possess genetically. It's part of the make-up.

He is a 6'6, 250 guy. There aren't too many other 6'6, 250 guys with the success of the brothers. It's more than just their size but size shouldn't be dismissed or looked down upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
        Would Floyd Mayweather be so succesfull without his speed and reflex? The answer is an obvious no.
        I'm not sure its so obvious. I think if he were to slow down a little he could still dominate due to his superior boxing skill.

I mean hopkins has definitely slowed down but can still hang at the top level unlike roy jones jr.

Comment

Wow no need to bite my head off. I think it is a better question still, because the idea of no weight classes is stupid. Of course vlad would still dominate, thats why hardly anyone in the smaller weight classes challenges him. Otherwise they would be doing it.

The only point I was making is his size gives him an unfair advantage and it would be interesting to see him against someone he can't lean on all night who has a comparative skill level.
          Why is the idea stupid? Is there a height and weight league for basketball players who are under 6 foot tall. Where average joe, 5'8 guys can get together and play amongst one another without worrying about a 7'5 behemoth? NO. If you're undersized, you have to be that much faster and more athletically gifted just to keep up.

Hypothetically, Roy Jones was one of those guys in his prime.
          Last edited by cupocity303; 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Probably, but there is the guy in your avatar and other guys with similar styles as him that would make it an ugly enough fight to save face.

Ward is a good mention though. Haye fought Valuev, and Haye's skills lead him to a win against the much bigger and taller Valuev. Valuev sucks, but Haye made him look worse than he is.

I'd guess Ward would go up to 200lbs and Wlad would be 240lbs, that is a 40lbs advantage and 6 inches. If Chris Byrd had the success he had at HW with his height, I can't see why Ward can't? The size disparity would be neutralized if the smaller guy is good enough. I don't think Ward beats Wlad, I just don't think he'd get embarrassed in there either.

Comment

I'm not sure its so obvious. I think if he were to slow down a little he could still dominate due to his superior boxing skill.

I mean hopkins has definitely slowed down but can still hang at the top level unlike roy jones jr.

Comment

Another small HW is Eddie Chambers. He got knocked out against Wlad, but he doesn't have the skills that Ward or Hopkins have.

Again, i'm not saying Ward or Hopkins beat Wlad, i'm just saying they'll find a way to last the distance and not make complete fools of themselves in there.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Another small HW is Eddie Chambers. He got knocked out against Wlad, but he doesn't have the skills that Ward or Hopkins have.

Again, i'm not saying Ward or Hopkins beat Wlad, i'm just saying they'll find a way to last the distance and not make complete fools of themselves in there.
                  I'm a Wlad fan (albeit a converted fan after disliking the guy for numerous years) and would pick him as well but I would be rooting for B-Hop hard if that one ever came to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                    Why is the idea stupid? Is there a height and weight league for basketball players who are under 6 foot tall. Where average joe, 5'8 guys can get together and play amongst one another without worrying about a 7'5 behemoth? NO. If you're undersized, you have to be that much faster and more athletically gifted just to keep up.

Hypothetically, Roy Jones was one of those guys in his prime.
                    Ok I see your point, I was wrong it wasn't a stupid question. However I think there's an obvious answer that doesn't merit discussion further. I think it would be impossible to come up from super middle like ward and be even competitive against a heavyweight vlad.

Even when Jones fought Ruiz he was cherry-picking the smallest heavyweight he could find.

A good big guy always beats a good little guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                      Imagine if a central Boxing authority abolished all weight classes and everyone had to compete with everyone. Imagine, no more affirmative action for smaller fighters.

I would imagine that a Wladimir Klitschko Vs Floyd Mayweather fight would be too unfair. Hayden Panettiere would laugh her ass off ringside thinking, "I'm almost big enough to kick this guys ass".

You would have to make a 2 on 1 handicap match on PPV, with Manny and Floyd temporarily joining forces as the "The Team of rivals", just to make it competitive . I do believe they would be able to topple him with Floyd keeping Wlad occupied by posing with his shoulder roll, while Manny unloads on him with flurry, combination punching. I don't think this would be beneath the collective brain power of Bob Arum and Richard Schaefer.

Are you high by any chance? Because this is the kind of ******ed seemingly brilliant when high thought that would go through my head if i was high as a kite.

Comment

Working...
                      X