Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happend with boxing in South Korea?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happend with boxing in South Korea?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by CTE90; 04-04-2020, 12:59 PM.

In-Ji Chi's last bout was in 2006 and before him you had In-Joo Cho who had a pretty decent career if I remember right, not really that long ago.
    Ji-Hoon Kim is pretty decent.

They've never been 'that' much of a force barring Moon, Yuh and Chang, there's been the odd contender that will come and perhaps get a title but nothing serious, they wasn't much of a force pre 80s either, same again they have the odd really skilled boxer appear(Chan-Hee Park, Ki-Soo Kim, Dong-Kyun Yum) but not much after a few names.

They just happened too have 3 incredible boxers appear at the same time.

Comment

Myung-Woo Yuh

I loved this dude. Just recently watched a bunch of his fights on YouTube.....what a fighting machine he was.

Comment

there is this social stigma about boxing being for poor people in Korea, as the economy is growing more and more, ppl dont wanna be associated with this lower class dangerous sport
        fighters are still good there's just not enough of them

Comment

from an interview with Jung-Koo Chang i read years ago

Comment

MMA is rising in popularity at an alarming rate. Korea has guys like Chan Sung Jun, Won-Sik Park, Doni-Yang, Dong Hyun Kim, Doo Hoo Choi and others to look up to. Apparently (I don't know if it's true) since Benson Henderson (1/2 Korean) won the title it was pretty big news as well.

One guy I was excited for was Seung Hwan Bang. That dude was awesome to watch. He arguably beat Jorge Masvidal and he had awful management for his boxing. He's a solid boxer, but his style is better suited for MMA. His Army duty should be up soon.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
            Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
              from an interview with Jung-Koo Chang i read years ago
              I remember reading something similar from him not too long ago.

He did say that boxing is still popular as a means of working out and staying in shape. But the mindset of a professional fighter and someone just looking to workout are obviously completely different.

Comment

Working...
              X