No announcement yet.

Why do people here love Ricky Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VolumePuncher View Post
    He fought two elite class fighters and they both whipped his ass in embarrassing fashion, and his record is padded largely by fighting bums in the UK.

Can someone please explain the appeal to me?

Also: Before anyone comes in here criticizing the first part of my statement, I don't punish anyone too much for losing to Floyd or Pac, but I will punish you for how you lose. Hatton was completely and utterly out-classed in both fights on a level that makes you wonder why the matches were made in the first place.
    Kostya Tszyu was an elite class fighter if i ever saw one.

Is any fighter that can't "step up" and beat Floyd and Pac rubbish ?
    Last edited by Furn; 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I liked Ricky because he TRIED to be the best.

Not everyone is given the chance to become the best.

Not everyone desires to be the best. Some are happy making money and staying stagnant.

He was given two chances and didn't come in just for the paycheck or slack off either time.

He knew his boxing was limited and that's probably what made him so entertaining for a lot of people. Instead of a guy who had all the tools, He was a boxer who would grind you down and impose his will on you.

And most times boxers like him are more fan pleasing due to his heart, than boxers who have all the skills, but don't know what to do with it.

Comment

I've always felt Hatton was overrated after he went life and death with Luis Collazo. I'll always knock him for his being unprofessional. I've heard he drank six pints of beer a day DURING training camp. And I've seen pictures of him smoking cigarettes. Not to mention the infamous cocaine snorting incident.

I have no qualms about partying, but not DURING training camp. Not to mention the way he blew up in between fights.

It just always seemed like he could have been a lot better if he had more self-control.

Fighters like Floyd and Manny are elite, because they are in-shape ALL year round. They don't take days off. And that's what separates the rest from the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Squizz View Post
          I've always felt Hatton was overrated after he went life and death with Luis Collazo. I'll always knock him for his being unprofessional. I've heard he drank six pints of beer a day DURING training camp. And I've seen pictures of him smoking cigarettes. Not to mention the infamous cocaine snorting incident.

I have no qualms about partying, but not DURING training camp. Not to mention the way he blew up in between fights.

It just always seemed like he could have been a lot better if he had more self-control.

Fighters like Floyd and Manny are elite, because they are in-shape ALL year round. They don't take days off. And that's what separates the rest from the best.
          Thats complete nonsense. He didnt drink during camp, in fact he was very dedicated and intense during training camp. Theres no way he'd be able to lose all the weight he put on outside of camp if he was drinking 6 pints a day. Ive not seen any pics of him smoking and the coke thing was when he retired.

I agree, he shouldve took more care with his lifestyle outside camp, its amazing he got as far as he did living like that as an athlete

Comment

Im not a Hatton fan, never was. he fouled Tszyu the whole fight

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
              LOL. Kirkland was already being touted for a shot at Martinez. Jacobs was going to be the next middleweight star of US boxing. Williams was supposedly capable of dominating from welterweight to light heavy. Margarito was some unstoppable force who could walk through any welterweight. Michael Grant was... well, you get the picture. Being over-hyped as a fighter is hardly something limited to Ricky Hatton, and trust me, he's far from being the worst example of it.
              Am Not claiming he was the worse, quite the opposite really, again good fighter but not special, vastly overrated after the Tsyzu win.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                I don't think Hatton was all that physically limited. Dimensions are not on his size with him being on the short side in height and reach, but he had good speed. His foot speed was very good, and his hand speed was above average too. He wasn't a guy who was known to take the best care of himself also outside the ring, but still got some good results.

He was reasonably fluid in his movements, for instance, the way he'd move his body to get the right angles on his body shots. He didn't look clumsy, awkward, or slow when he did this. He had a decent chin for most of his career.

One thing he definitely should have worked on was his right hand. It was an ugly, slapping or pushing shot. He didn't turn it over with leverage and technique.
                very good post, i always noticed that right hand punch too, i thought i was the only one

Comment

Hatton did beat Jose Luis Castillo in 4. Who went life and death with Mayweather (in their first fight anyway) that kind of added to his rating to be a worthy opponent for Mayweather.

Comment

He also beat Paulie by 11 who is love him or hate him a good boxer. It made a good build up going into the Pac fight.

Comment

Ricky Hatton had a good career. He is a true Englishman, and had a great sense of humour, and in general is a nice guy. He may have been outclassed and knocked-out in spectacular fashion, but he still got in there with 2 ATG's, along with beating some good fighters. Ricky is more of an overachiever, but did have his moments in there, let's not discredit him.

Seriously though, English or non - English, How can you not this man? He is an all round top bloke, Ricky is the type who'd sit down and have a pint with you. Ricky will always be remembered as the biggest character in British Boxing who had a successful career.

Long live Ricky, he is a top bloke.

Comment

Working...
                      X