No announcement yet.

question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question...

I know someone that goes to a gym to box. He invited me and I would like to know what excersises/weight lifting techniques I should use to get ready to do this. I told him I will go in a month so I can get my body in shape, I'm 6'0, 175 pounds, is that too heavy? I just dont wanna go get my ass kicked and look foolish.

Originally posted by GodzHand
    I know someone that goes to a gym to box. He invited me and I would like to know what excersises/weight lifting techniques I should use to get ready to do this. I told him I will go in a month so I can get my body in shape, I'm 6'0, 175 pounds, is that too heavy? I just dont wanna go get my ass kicked and look foolish.

/??????????????????????????????

Comment

/???????????????? indeed

Comment

In all honesty, the best way to prepare for any kind of match is experience in a boxing gym, but since it sounds like you probably wouldn't go between now in a month or whatever, i would recommend getting on a good running program - roadwork is the best thing you can do for boxing shape. As far other training and nutrition goes, you should look at the other topics in this forum and see what advice seems to fit you best. I personally don't follow the nutrition advice too much because i am 6'0" and 158 and have less than 10% bodyweight and have a high metabolism, so my carb intake doesn't concern me too much (i do make sure to get a lot of protein in my diet though). i've met people who are 5'7" and your weight who are a lot better conditioned than me, so it depends on your body type for whether or not you need to lose weight.
        Also, if you have access to a heavy bag, speed bag, or double end bag - use them as much as possible. Fitness is definitely important, but so is technique so try to find someone who can work with you from that standpoint on the bags or mits or something

Comment

It depends on your anatomi, if your fat and weak lose weight.
          175 is not much for being 6ft im 6ft and i usually weigh 185.
          You should try losing fat, it seems like your a natural middeweight.
          Oh by the way weightlifting is a overrated boxing exercise, roadwork, sparring and bag is exremly omportant.

Comment

Depends on your body type or if you lift/exercise regularly.

Jump Rope!

Run!

Get your friend to show you some basic techniques.Better yet, go to the gym and get trained for a few days so you don't develop incorrect form on your punches. you most likely will not be sparring for at least a week or two anyway, and that is if you are in decent shape to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Pugilist
              Depends on your body type or if you lift/exercise regularly.

Jump Rope!

Run!

Get your friend to show you some basic techniques.Better yet, go to the gym and get trained for a few days so you don't develop incorrect form on your punches. you most likely will not be sparring for at least a week or two anyway, and that is if you are in decent shape to begin with.
              thanks everyone

Comment

whoa
                talk about your head trip
                i can vividly remember posting a reply to this thread
                i even edited a spelling error on it
                it was the 1st response
                im scared

Comment

Godzhandz getting fit is what the gym should do for you if its a class/trainer theyll specify what you need to do and theyll probably make a special little program for you depending on your body type. your going to look foolish sparring for the first time regardlessly my first time sparring i probably looked dumb also. that the best way to learn too by sparring. boxing is like trial by fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyl-G
                    Godzhandz getting fit is what the gym should do for you if its a class/trainer theyll specify what you need to do and theyll probably make a special little program for you depending on your body type. your going to look foolish sparring for the first time regardlessly my first time sparring i probably looked dumb also. that the best way to learn too by sparring. boxing is like trial by fire.
                    that was more or less what i had suggested
                    or what i remember suggestin
                    dats what a gym is for
                    ur their to learn
                    all the people know ur their to learn
                    the may laugh a little
                    but they'll forget it
                    if i was you
                    and just wanted to go
                    id go

Comment

Working...