Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go to a boxing gym first, or train beforehand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go to a boxing gym first, or train beforehand?

Alright so I'm kinda new here (old account but just came back after 2 years) and I'm curious about whether I should go to a gym with my complete lack of stamina. I was training a lot for fun when I was younger but ended up hurting some stuff then just got lost after such a long time away from training. I've never been trained and I'd like to go to a gym to learn, however I can't go a single round anymore, not shadow boxing or even jump rope. I also want to avoid jump roping since it's most of what caused my injuries but I don't want to develop bad punching form shadow boxing at home. So would it be better to focus on sprints and bad punches or get killed at a gym? Also should I just power through jump rope, don't wanna seem like a whinny ***** if I go in and they want me to jump for conditioning... Oh I'm sure there are tons of post like this but I'm having trouble finding them with the forum search and google. So a link to another tread that's similar would suffice.

How did a jump rope cause your injuries? It's supposed to be relatively low impact. At least for me my knees hurt a lot less than going for a long run

Anyway you might as well go right now. I'm sure your gym has some Boxing 101 boxercise type class. They will push you harder than just working out at your own pace if you're really this out of shape. Do that for like 3 months non stop and see where you're at after that.

Comment

Thank you, that seems pretty reasonable. As for the injury my entire family has weak bodies, probably made me prone to it. I collapsed an arch, felt like I was stepping on thumb tacs. I also jogged 3 miles a day, that probably did some of the damage as well.

Comment

Don't do things that aggravate injuries. That's what's great about boxing. Can't jump rope? Well, you've got; heavy bag, speed bag, double end, slip bag, all the other bags, shadow boxing, footwork, medicine ball, a million other types of exercise. If the goal is fitness, do what you want to do. If the trainers at your gym insist you do things that aggravate your injuries, they're ignorant as to what their jobs are and you need a different trainer or gym.

Comment

Originally posted by penof1337 View Post
          Alright so I'm kinda new here (old account but just came back after 2 years) and I'm curious about whether I should go to a gym with my complete lack of stamina. I was training a lot for fun when I was younger but ended up hurting some stuff then just got lost after such a long time away from training. I've never been trained and I'd like to go to a gym to learn, however I can't go a single round anymore, not shadow boxing or even jump rope. I also want to avoid jump roping since it's most of what caused my injuries but I don't want to develop bad punching form shadow boxing at home. So would it be better to focus on sprints and bad punches or get killed at a gym? Also should I just power through jump rope, don't wanna seem like a whinny ***** if I go in and they want me to jump for conditioning... Oh I'm sure there are tons of post like this but I'm having trouble finding them with the forum search and google. So a link to another tread that's similar would suffice.
          Can you even punch properly? If you punch properly its hard to get tired, if you muscle it, you get tired incredibly fast.

If you cant do jump rope then dont do it, the only thing thats wimpy is the fact that youd do it to not seem like a wimp to others.

Sorry to be hard on you. Good luck dude

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            If you punch properly its hard to get tired, ...
            Ever heard of a pro boxer "punching themselves out" during a fight? Even if you're punching correctly, it's easy for anyone to get tired from punching. If not, every fight would look like rock-em' sock-em' robots. Granted, good technique will make striking less fatiguing but you definitely will tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Ever heard of a pro boxer "punching themselves out" during a fight? Even if you're punching correctly, it's easy for anyone to get tired from punching. If not, every fight would look like rock-em' sock-em' robots. Granted, good technique will make striking less fatiguing but you definitely will tire.
              It makes it MUCH less tiring, 12 rounds sure. But this guy is saying he cant go 1 round etc

Get with it dummy.

Comment

I've had some huge improvement, That was posted on my second day training, I had doms like crazy and no I was no throwing properly, I was stiff and off balance from day 1. Today I woke up feeling like **** from exercising yesterday with all my soreness and did way better, I managed a round of jabs only without heavy breathing and only breathed through my mouth a few times by accident. (I have a tendency to kinda hyperventilate while tired so I just keep my jaw lightly clenched) I did a few more heavier rounds and did the same sprinting that killed me on day 1 with less exhaustion. Granted my muscles are pretty much all sore and tired so my max intensity isn't my max. Looking forward to going to the gym and learning everything I know is wrong, wanna exercise my heart everyday until the leg soreness ceases so I can be at my best for the first day. Sounds like decent plan I think.

Comment

Working...
                X