No announcement yet.

The Debate Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Catchweights are as old as boxing it self. I have no problem if they are being used for a champion in a lower division fighting a champion in a higher division, it's what the likes of Armstrong, Leonard and so on have done.

But a catchweight between two champs in the same division? No.

You're question is vague, you should have fleshed it out a bit more.
    Will do, thanks

Update: There, the question is specifically about catch weights in title fights. Is it acceptable or not? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Aztekkas; 12-23-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
      Will do, thanks
      I mean, it's just such a wide issue. I believe when Armstrong moved up to fight at middleweight, there was a catchweight in place. Guys like Leonard and Hearns used that too but as long as it was two champions, in varying weight division, fighting one another and they needed parity in weight, I have no problem with it.

But the bull**** that Floyd pulled with Canelo, while both were champions IN THE SAME DIVISION...that's not on. Or fighting for vacant titles in higher weight classes, like Manny/Margarito...who I think was a good opponent but it shouldn't have been for a MW title. Or Canelo winning his title against a career light welterweight lol

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I mean, it's just such a wide issue. I believe when Armstrong moved up to fight at middleweight, there was a catchweight in place. Guys like Leonard and Hearns used that too but as long as it was two champions, in varying weight division, fighting one another and they needed parity in weight, I have no problem with it.

But the bull**** that Floyd pulled with Canelo, while both were champions IN THE SAME DIVISION...that's not on. Or fighting for vacant titles in higher weight classes, like Manny/Margarito...who I think was a good opponent but it shouldn't have been for a MW title. Or Canelo winning his title against a career light welterweight lol
        Yeah that sh#t is ridiculous

Comment

I think there needs to be a total weight class reform...
          "Weight range" as opposed to a "catchweight"
          My short answer is yes the catch weight is cool but to a limit, see explanation for details.

There should be a Maximum weight range for fight night.
          Example: If your a welterweight-147, it should be no more than around 5lbs, fight night maximum of 152lbs.

For super feather 140, Fight night maxim of 145.
          And so on...

I think these guys are cheating, trying to get an unfair advantage and hiding in the lower weight classes.

A few months ago we all watched the war between Matthysse-Molina.
          These guys are super featherweight 140lbers and both came in fight night as jr. middleweights.

Matthysse weigh in: 140(super featherweight)
          Fight night weight: 157(jr. middle weight/damn near middleweight)
          Gained 17lbs !!!OVERNIGHT!!!

Molina weigh in: 139 1/4(super featherweight)
          Fight night weight:153(damn near jr. middleweight)
          Gained 14lbs !!!OVERNIGHT!!!

What about the guy who's coming in on fight night at his true lightweight self around 140-142?
          The guy that's not hiding in a lower division?
          Is he supposed to fight a freaking Middleweight of 160 on fight night because the middle weight is hiding in a lower division?

Comment

Working...
          X