Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of the holyfield cooper stopage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you think of the holyfield cooper stopage?

Bert sure had evander in trouble. Did he have a punchers chance or did Mills Lane stop the fight at the right time?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Bert sure had evander in trouble. Did he have a punchers chance or did Mills Lane stop the fight at the right time?
    The stoppage was on time. Bert only had like a week to prepare for the fight. His best "puncher's chance" was in the early round. Holy had been really puttin' it to him for the previous 3 rounds and when he found the key with the uppercut, it was all she wrote.

Bert was done......great heart he showed in that fight; but it was over. Mills did the right thing.

Comment

been a long time since i saw this war but I seem to remember bert taking an absolute beating over the last few rounds and that the stoppage was perfect. his body was done even if his mind hadn't realized it.

Comment

very fun fight to watch,,, It was a good stoppage,,,, Cooper was taking a severe beating the few rounds,,,
        He did have a punchers chance, and had dropped evander but by the time it got stopped cooper was a basically a punching bag

Comment

Good stoppage. Too bad it was the only stoppage title defense for Holyfield when he was lineal champ, which a lot of fans at the time didn't like. I guess he'll be looked at more favorable now because of his heart, but the steroid allegations will hurt a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Good stoppage. Too bad it was the only stoppage title defense for Holyfield when he was lineal champ, which a lot of fans at the time didn't like. I guess he'll be looked at more favorable now because of his heart, but the steroid allegations will hurt a bit.
            Only two of the sanctioning bodies recognized the fight as a legit defense because of berts ranking. Mills Lane is one of our better ref's so I agree he saw bert was not answering evanders barrage and I can understand why he stopped the fight.

Comment

man do I miss that man....Mills Lane was a G, Smoger is another one.

Comment

Only two sanctioning bodies or not, Cooper would've still been lineal champion had he won. How will history look at Holyfield though as well. As a tough fighter with heart, or as a steroid cheat?

Comment

Did Cooper turn his back on Holyfield? I don't remember if he did in that fight but Cooper did it a lot when he got hurt and that is a good reason to stop a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson8 View Post
                    Did Cooper turn his back on Holyfield? I don't remember if he did in that fight but Cooper did it a lot when he got hurt and that is a good reason to stop a fight.
                    no he did not turn his back but he certainly was not punching back at the time of this stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                    X