No announcement yet.

Louis-Conn history rewrite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis-Conn history rewrite

Lets say in 1941 Billy Conn holds on and wins a SD against Joe Louis and opts not to give him an immediate rematch until WWII is over. In this time before joining the effort against the Nazi's Conn fights Lou Nova, Buddy Baer and Abe Simon defending his worlds heavyweight title. How does he do and how much differently would history view him today?

That's a lot of what ifs... I don't think Conn holds it in all honesty. He's smaller than Louis which makes it even riskier.

Comment

I don't know how long Conn would actually be able to hold onto the belt, but beating Louis would have been enough to put him in almost everybody's alltime top 10 P4P lists, when added to his already stellar resume at middleweight and heavyweight.

I don't know how he doesn't make more P4P top 10 lists as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
        I don't know how long Conn would actually be able to hold onto the belt, but beating Louis would have been enough to put him in almost everybody's alltime top 10 P4P lists, when added to his already stellar resume at middleweight and heavyweight.

great answer. Billy started out as a welter and went 12 rounds with the hw champ who some have as being the best at that division. If he actually stayed the course and won the the bout on pts It would have greatly altered boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post

I can't justify a top 10 p4p ranking,but Conns resume is stacked petty well. Easily in the top 25 for me if not higher after taking a quick glance a th IBRO p4p rankings. A win over Lous surely would have shot himup to orat least very close to the top 10.

Comment

If Conn defeated Louis that would have been the single greatest win in history IMO

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
              If Conn defeated Louis that would have been the single greatest win in history IMO
              It would be really damn close. I can't think of many off the top of my head. Duran over Leonard? Frazier over Ali is close, but I think that Conn over Louis would have been better. Clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                It would be really damn close. I can't think of many off the top of my head. Duran over Leonard? Frazier over Ali is close, but I think that Conn over Louis would have been better. Clearly.
                Yes Frazier over Ali is incredible but Frazier was a heavyweight, Conn was a light-heavyweight coming up weighing in at 168 lbs to beat a man who is usually regarded among the top 2 greatest heavyweights off all time. I think it would top Duran -Leonard because although Duran moved up divisions the weight differential wasn't anywhere near Louis-Conn, it would literally have been David defeating Goliath.

Comment

If Billy Conn beat Louis he might get the recognition that he deserves today.

Comment

If Conn could box those three contenders as he did against Louis he would have a great chance to win. Conn was a Master Boxer with some pop and if he didn't get caught late he might have stolen one from Louis. Conn was a fighting LtHvy since 1937, although light at the beginning was a solid LtHvy by the time the 1940s began! Louis was not in his normal top condition weighing 12 pounds or so over his best fighting weight at that time. Its not an excuse and Joe didn't use that way but its a fact!
                    I'm almost certain the contracts for Louis as the champ always had returns along with partial payments to Braddock from contractual obligations.
                    Conn would obviously have more clout today with that win but it wouldn't increase his skill level or overall talents so it shouldn't have anything to do with how he's judged. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X