Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Duran.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's known to be one of the dirtiest fighters ever but he's still great and his resume is great.

Comment

lol. you telling me you only seen like 5 of durans fights? that alone is embarassing, calling him overrated and saying mayweather and pacquiao would beat him is even worse.

you have to watch any fighter more than a couple of times to fully appreciate his greatness, duran in particular. everyone knows he had some bad performances, but his longevity was astonishing as were his best performances.

he was a dirty fighter, ill give you that lol. real dirty. but making it rough and physical was only one aspect of his game, he could do it all.

i could reccomend you some more fights but if you seen the first SRL fight and still dont recognize his greatness i guess you just dont know greatness when you see it.

overall you seem new to the sport, you talk of duran like you just heard of him and all boxing fans have seen atleast a dozen or so of his fights. some fighters you just have to know and hes one of them.

my favourite duran fight is davey moore, he was past his prime even then but it was still masterful. dirty though, but who cares? if you watch that fight and dont recognize a truly special fighter maybe you should follow a sport thats a bit more simple, like darts or bowling.

Comment

subtle defensive skills slips and rolls with punches by just a tiny bit...

the fact that ts said he wasnt impressed with duran's speed and that being his basis for duran losing to paac and may tells us everything we need to know about ts

ts ur probably green

keep on studying all his fights

keep on studieng the oldschool stuff and really get an understanding of the sport

Comment

U saw the Iran Barkley fight and don't see greatness...

Think about it, he was 38 years old and he came up from 135, winning a title at 160 (not 155, no catchweights) against one of the biggest middleweights of that time... I know beating Barkley isn't exactly the biggest of accomplishments, but considering all that, that's a huge indication of how good he was...

Was he unbeatable? At lightweight yes

Floyd would get nothing but frustrated by his vicious inside attatck and his dirty tactics. Manny would lands some good shots, but Duran's body shots would take Manny into he's never been in, and the closest he ever came was when he fought Marquez, who is no Duran

Comment

Originally posted by KillerB View Post
            I just watched a couple of his fights and I have to say he is really overrated. He was also really dirty, I mean dude threw elbows and low blows intentionally. I honestly thought he would have be better considering how much hype he gets. I think that both Mayweather and Pacquiao would have beat him. He also was no where near as fast as I thought he would be considering he started at 135.
            He is a great fighter and at the same time he still gets overrated imo. Its always the back story when they talk about Duran. HOw he is just a little 135er. No he moved up. If he is 160 then he's a MW. He's just got a cult following.

Comment

He won the fight with repeated low blows. I watched both the fights with SRL. I think that SRL had an off night that night to be honest. I was really thought that I was gonna be blown away with how much people talk about him. I'm not trying to downgrade any of his accomplishments, I just kinda expected to be in awe of his skills. When I look at the Mayweather Gatti fight I am blown away, when I look at Paquiao fights in the last few years I am blown away (except for the fight with Mosley, and Clottey) Maybe I just built him up to high in my head.
              When you mention watching Mayweather's fight with Gatti, as well as Pacquiao's fights (with the exception of mosley and clottey) and being blown away, you have to remember those fights featured A class fighters (close or near to their prime) against over matched opposition. No matter how skillful you are as a fighter, you're not going to "arturo gatti" (RIP) a prime Ray Leonard; unless he's totally unprepared, fighting way above his weight class, coked up lol etc

Comment

Originally posted by northstar View Post
                When you mention watching Mayweather's fight with Gatti, as well as Pacquiao's fights (with the exception of mosley and clottey) and being blown away, you have to remember those fights featured A class fighters (close or near to their prime) against over matched opposition. No matter how skillful you are as a fighter, you're not going to "arturo gatti" (RIP) a prime Ray Leonard; unless he's totally unprepared, fighting way above his weight class, coked up lol etc
                exactly what I was going to say.

You watched Duran fight SRL (all time great), Tommy Hearns (all time great), Buchanan and barkley (both really good fighters) and compare that to Gatti, who in floyd's own words was a C class fighter (and this was after his countless wars with Ward, et al) and Pacquiao vs whoever as of late...there simply is no comparison.

If you watched Duran fight a gatti type fighter (dead man walking in the ring) you'd see him blow him away too.

Now if floyd or pac ever fought SRL, I'll be real as a fan of both of them - they'd get spanked, period. If Pacquiao went up to 160 and fought Marvin Hagler, he'd get sparked round 1 (duran went the full 15 rounds against that monster). Floyd might last a few more rounds if he's running on his bike but eventually he'd get hurt. Same goes for either against a huge monster like Tommy Hearns. The very fact that lil dude (duran) moved up in weight and hung with the best (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Benitez) that speaks volumes alone, not too mention he kept going up in weight past his prime and won titles.
                Last edited by ИATAS; 10-10-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I just watched a couple of his fights and I have to say he is really overrated. He was also really dirty, I mean dude threw elbows and low blows intentionally. I honestly thought he would have be better considering how much hype he gets. I think that both Mayweather and Pacquiao would have beat him. He also was no where near as fast as I thought he would be considering he started at 135.
                  I was his fan back in the day, but Pac is better than Duran.

Comment

Roberto Duran the man with the Hands of Stone.

Great guy beat fighters like Thomas Hearns at Junior Middleweight.

Won a competitive match against Sugar Ray Leonard.

Ruled his division which was the Lightweight with his stone fists and no one was able to crack his domination.

I will never rank Pacquiao higher than Duran.

Until Pacquiao beats a bunch of 6'1 fighters like Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez at Middleweight then we will talk. Until then Duran with his short height destroyed plenty of tall fighters in his time which also fuels the argument that he is an All Time Great boxer.

Weight to me don't matter because it changes as a fighter age but height barely changes until a person hits their late 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbj2 View Post
                      Roberto Duran the man with the Hands of Stone.

Great guy beat fighters like Thomas Hearns at Junior Middleweight.

Won a competitive match against Sugar Ray Leonard.

Ruled his division which was the Lightweight with his stone fists and no one was able to crack his domination.

I will never rank Pacquiao higher than Duran.

Until Pacquiao beats a bunch of 6'1 fighters like Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez at Middleweight then we will talk. Until then Duran with his short height destroyed plenty of tall fighters in his time which also fuels the argument that he is an All Time Great boxer.

Weight to me don't matter because it changes as a fighter age but height barely changes until a person hits their late 40's.
                      Uhmmmmmm............

Comment

Working...
                      X