Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Were Thoughts On Antonio Margarito's Comeback Fight Then?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Were Thoughts On Antonio Margarito's Comeback Fight Then?

This dosen't seem to be getting talked about much. Proably due to the whole Cintron/Williams thing.

But what did you think of him vs Garcia? I was shocked to see him box off the backfoot, I feel he should of pushed the fight more and went for the stoppage.

Is he past his prime?

Overall thoughts on his performance?

Sadly i haven't seen it yet.. **** was on ppv

From what i have heard its good for him to add a few new things to his game and learn to box a little bit, cause he will need it vs elite fighters. Rather then his usual press forward take heavy damage in an attempt to deal out some

Comment

it was more of a get it over with fight for him where he was trying different things. This will not be his new style ala the way Barrera changed he will mix a bit of the old with the new. He worked on getting his upper torso more mobile, keeping the jab pumping, and using some defensive to set up his offense while in camp so that translated over to the ring Saturday

this wasn't a new Margarito moreso a Margarito trying to figure out of new is going to work with old

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
        This dosen't seem to be getting talked about much. Proably due to the whole Cintron/Williams thing.

But what did you think of him vs Garcia? I was shocked to see him box off the backfoot, I feel he should of pushed the fight more and went for the stoppage.

Is he past his prime?

Overall thoughts on his performance?
        Always a bad sign when an aggressive mauler like Margarito decides to "box." Even when he was getting his a** handed to him by Daniel Santos, he refused to bend to Santos' will and doggedly came forward and engaged. Not so this time. The last time I saw a fighter do that was Jose Luis Castillo against his old sparring partner. Right then and there, I knew Castillo was near the end. It wouldn't surprise me if Margarito is too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
          it was more of a get it over with fight for him where he was trying different things. This will not be his new style ala the way Barrera changed he will mix a bit of the old with the new. He worked on getting his upper torso more mobile, keeping the jab pumping, and using some defensive to set up his offense while in camp so that translated over to the ring Saturday

this wasn't a new Margarito moreso a Margarito trying to figure out of new is going to work with old
          I admit I was a pretty big fan of Tony s I hope you're right. But still...idk, man

Comment

the thing with JLC is that everything stayed the same

with Tony EVERYTHING changed

camp
            trainer
            outlook
            style of training

everything

I was up in Oxnard and shot the video that was up on this site and from this camp to the last one from Mosley was like night and day.

Off record I asked him if he was comfortable and he said it took a long time to get used to the people up there but liked them very much. He also said he didn't want to change 100% but wanted to see what he can do with his mindset combined with what Garcia has in mind for him

in the end he will still be agressive

Comment

camp
              trainer
              outlook
              style of training

everything

I was up in Oxnard and shot the video that was up on this site and from this camp to the last one from Mosley was like night and day.

Off record I asked him if he was comfortable and he said it took a long time to get used to the people up there but liked them very much. He also said he didn't want to change 100% but wanted to see what he can do with his mindset combined with what Garcia has in mind for him

Interesting stuff. What did you think of his performance Saturday night? Obviously he was trying something different out but I'm wondering if he'd ever be able to blend that with his old style.

Comment

camp
                trainer
                outlook
                style of training

everything

Thanks for the info, Earner!

Comment

The fight probably went exactly as expected by the Margarito camp. He looked reasonably sharp after a long layoff. Of course it was against someone who was handpicked to make him look good. The fight pretty much served its purpose for everyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Interesting stuff. What did you think of his performance Saturday night? Obviously he was trying something different out but I'm wondering if he'd ever be able to blend that with his old style.
                    I told his manager it was good to see him box like he used to and before he got caught in Capetillo's BS about being a total blood and guts warrior but that I hoped it wasn't a total change

he looked good I think the style he implemented on Sat was an extreme from him so it took some time for him to adjust. He looked a bit gassed at the end but to me that is expected of someone who had been off for 16 months

Comment

Working...
                    X