No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Stevens-GGG. Curtis gave GGG is toughest fight to date

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rewatched Stevens-GGG. Curtis gave GGG is toughest fight to date

Outside of Ouma, I take my hat off to Curtis Stevens. He landed some thunderous shots that would've dropped any other Middleweight. GGG has one hell of a beard, but I think Stevens gave him his toughest fight to date.

And Golovkin still destroyed him. But yeah, I'd say it was his toughest 'test'.

Comment

Meh. He won 1 round. The most admirable thing about Stevens's performance was his heart. He took a real beating and kept trying.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Meh. He won 1 round. The most admirable thing about Stevens's performance was his heart. He took a real beating and kept trying.
        Who would you say gave GGG a better fight than Stevens?

Comment

True, he is GGG's toughest fight in recent memory. Stevens is the only fighter who I have seen stun Golovkin or back him up for a moment, I think Sanchez mentioned that he was stronger than they expected, and because of this they were more careful. Notice that Golovkin didn't rush in against Stevens like he did Geale. Stevens won me as a fan that night, he didn't come in to lose, and while he was still beaten down you could see the effort (at least in the early rounds, before the body shots started to break him down). I hope Stevens keeps winning and is able to get a shot against Peter "if Al Haymon is in my corner anything is possible" Quillin, but I don't see it happening.

Comment

He tried, but he took a pounding.

He had a good 4th round, but other than that he was being manoeuvred with the jab, trapped against the ropes and then punished.

Comment

Nah. Stevens was just trying to survive for the most part. He was a punching bag in there. I must have missed the "thunderous shots" that would have dropped anyone at 160. If I remember correctly Golovkin was taking steps back when Stevens tried to be offensive, and most of his punches landed without real power. He couldn't catch him with big shots like he wanted to. Stevens won 1 round, and he didn't make Golovkin work hard to win the others. I thought it was a one-sided fight.

Comment

I think Rosado was doing a pretty good job hanging in there with GGG for a small middleweight ..until the cut ..that changed the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
                  Nah. Stevens was just trying to survive for the most part. He was a punching bag in there. I must have missed the "thunderous shots" that would have dropped anyone at 160. If I remember correctly Golovkin was taking steps back when Stevens tried to be offensive, and most of his punches landed without real power. He couldn't catch him with big shots like he wanted to. Stevens won 1 round, and he didn't make Golovkin work hard to win the others. I thought it was a one-sided fight.
                  This is true. You missed the thunderous shots.

Steven landed a HUGE left hook in the 4th round I believe. Same left hook that made Roman and many others go night night. GGG's neck twisted to his left the same way many other guys necks have twisted right before they heard the 10 count. GGG took one step back then proceeded to come forth again. This isn't even counting the other big right hands stevens landed.

Stevens definitely landed his fair share of big shots just as he's done previously to opponents he's KO'd.

I think you should go back and review the fight.

Comment

I saw something in GGG in that fight that I didnt like. I cant really put my finger on it. But he looked uncomfortable at times. Id have to rewatch it again and look.

Comment

Working...
                    X