Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the main muscles that are used for punching?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the main muscles that are used for punching?

what main muscles are worked when punching and what exercises should you to to make them stronger and possibly have a stronger punch? i know just punching the bag will develop the muscles you need, just want a little more extra work for them..

Shoulder's and tri's.

Comment

A solid, stunning, "holy ****" punch is more like a good golf swing than it like doing a bench press. It doesn't take tremendous strength; it takes coordination. A well-delivered punch incorporates nearly every muscle in your body, from your feet to your fingers.

The best exercises to increase punching ability are compound lifts -- squat, clean, and deadlift. Compound lifts train many groups of muscles to act together to achieve explosive power, which is what makes a devastating punch.

Check out this guy's punching ability. Big muscles are NOT necessary. Time on the bag is.

EDIT: About 6:30 into it or so (3:35 remaining) he discusses the straight left, and throws some combos. Watch the power this kid has. And he's built like a mosquito's dick.
      Last edited by fraidycat; 10-14-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

An incredibly powerful punch is all about kinetic linking using every muscle from your feet to forearms,that includes proper use of your lungs.Practice technique more and more.At first I had the same idea as you what muscles can I strengthen to make me punch harder.

Comment

the majority of a punch comes from the legs/hips/weight... if you incorporate that into a punch then it could be pretty deadly

Comment

Originally posted by floydfan View Post
            An incredibly powerful punch is all about kinetic linking using every muscle from your feet to forearms,that includes proper use of your lungs.Practice technique more and more.At first I had the same idea as you what muscles can I strengthen to make me punch harder.
            ^^^^ + 1. Also, when you first learn to punch correctly, it may very well feel weak and awkward; this will continue until you learn to chain all the muscles together and coordinate the punch. Once you learn this, though, you will be throwing faster, and hitting harder, than you ever could before. Power comes from proper execution, not any one muscle.

Comment

All of them. Heh. Some even say that you don't punch just link an energy of the ground to the chin of your opponent ---- yeah that sounded kinda corny.

Comment

the brain is the main muscle used for punching

Comment

all of what those guys above is true, but you can improve your punching power more if you increase your core strength(abs, obliques, back). The more you twist at the end of the punch the more damage you cause to whoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel087 View Post
                    all of what those guys above is true, but you can improve your punching power more if you increase your core strength(abs, obliques, back). The more you twist at the end of the punch the more damage you cause to whoever.
                    The realest advice on this thread. A twist with your hips can do wonders with punching power. You can even tell the difference between sound impact on the bag.

Comment

Working...
                    X