Collapse
No announcement yet.

So let's talk about Paul Williams and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to him was terrible but he shouldn't go into the HOF because of it.

He should be judged purely on his boxing career and he didn't achieve enough to go into the HOF.

Comment

• williams is not a legit hall of fame fighter. neither is corrales. neither is genaro hernandez.

but since the IBHOF does have low standards & all three of those guys might get a sympathy vote b/c of their deaths & illness, they are not legit bona fide hall of famers.

& before anybody mentions that there some fighters that are in the hall that dont deserve, that doesnt mean you open the flood gates & let everybody in. You still have to keep up the integrity of the hall. Some mistakes are made, doesnt mean we have to let everybody undeserving get in because of other non boxing external consequences.

Comment

• no and i cant believe the question is even being asked.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTMB View Post
          williams is not a legit hall of fame fighter. neither is corrales. neither is genaro hernandez.

but since the IBHOF does have low standards & all three of those guys might get a sympathy vote b/c of their deaths & illness, they are not legit bona fide hall of famers.

& before anybody mentions that there some fighters that are in the hall that dont deserve, that doesnt mean you open the flood gates & let everybody in. You still have to keep up the integrity of the hall. Some mistakes are made, doesnt mean we have to let everybody undeserving get in because of other non boxing external consequences.
          Corrales had a better career than Paul Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Corrales had a better career than Paul Williams.
            exactly. & he's not even getting in.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
              do you understand the meaning of a "non-participant?"

i'm just curious and not looking to dig at you. from your post it's pretty clear that you do not

there's a separate category for guys who dont box

most of them are writers, managers, promotors, etc.
              guys who do their work with a fountain pen

stallone is in there because he's a writer. a screenwriter (writing for movies or filmed media.) he created rocky, who is one of the most galvanizing figures in all of american cinema

the first rocky moves is one of the greatest movies ever. not just about boxing. not just about sports. ever. it's a truly great film and story.

rocky is about as lovable a character as you'll ever see.

people who have never seen a boxing match or fistfight in their lives can identify with the character that stallone created.

he's in there for creating rocky the character, and "Rocky" the first film.

he's not in there for being a fighter in movies
              yikes
              did you really think that's what they inducted him for?
              do you know how many kids went straight to a boxing gym after seeing that movie?

"man, that rocky could really scrap. he's got wins over apollo creed, the russian, mr t, tommy gun morrison, and a draw with antonio "the line" tarver. more than 10 defenses of the legit championship. sure fire hall of famer."
              cool stoy bro...should've read my post AFTER that and it would've save you some key pushing time....Rocky inspired more fighters than poverty, abuse and hardship huh?...how many dudes went to the gym AFTER they got bullied?...how many hit the gym because they had no other place to go?...Rocky was a "OK" flick...and Stallone is PROBABLY a "OK" dude in real life....nothing against him and his movies...but to say he inspired MORE fighters than actual REAL life situations is crazy imo...but hey, everybody is allowed to have an opinion I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                cool stoy bro...should've read my post AFTER that and it would've save you some key pushing time....Rocky inspired more fighters than poverty, abuse and hardship huh?...how many dudes went to the gym AFTER they got bullied?...how many hit the gym because they had no other place to go?...Rocky was a "OK" flick...and Stallone is PROBABLY a "OK" dude in real life....nothing against him and his movies...but to say he inspired MORE fighters than actual REAL life situations is crazy imo...but hey, everybody is allowed to have an opinion I guess
                Rocky sucked. Rocky and Titanic, 2 most overrated movies in the last 50 years.

Comment

• Comment

williams is not a legit hall of fame fighter. neither is corrales. neither is genaro hernandez.

Exactly. I think people are getting caught up in the moment and using the pity route in terms of Paul and HOF legitimacy. The underlying fact is that he just didn't do enough in his career to even warrant any sort of consideration let alone be inducted.

Comment

exactly. & he's not even getting in.
                      He might. In my opinion, I think Corrales and Castillo may get in.

Castillo was a 2x LW champ, 1x Lineal LW champ, best LW of his era. Wins over Johnston, Bazan, Casamayor, Lazcano, Diaz, Corrales, Ngoudjo, and has a great arguement to have a win over Mayweather.

Corrales won 4 titles in 2 weight classes and 1x Lineal LW champ. Wins over Garcia, Gainer, Manfredy, Casamayor, Freitas, and Castillo.

Those 2 are far more deserving than Williams to me. I don't rate Williams' win over Wright at all. Winky came off a 2 year layoff and looked awful, was seen as past it for sure during that fight. He had really good wins over Margarito and Martinez, though the Sergio fight was very questionable. He also had a solid win over Cintron. I just don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X