Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Jack Dempsey over-rated (imo) by a lot of historians and other sources?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Jack Dempsey over-rated (imo) by a lot of historians and other sources?

ESPN =#9 Above: Langford, Greb, Gans, Wilde
    Ring = #16 Above: Jofre, Tunney, Barney Ross.
    Bert Sugar = #9 Above: Jofre, Charles, Langford, Gans, Johnson, Tunney, Wilde, Walke, Fitzsimmons, Y. Peter Jackson.

Can this be justified? Unless you are looking at impact to the sport then I believe no.

Most posters compared his resumé to Mike Tyson's who Bert has at #100.

Your thoughts?

Jack Dempsey was the most ferocious fighting machine who ever lived

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      ESPN =#9 Above: Langford, Greb, Gans, Wilde
      Ring = #16 Above: Jofre, Tunney, Barney Ross.
      Bert Sugar = #9 Above: Jofre, Charles, Langford, Gans, Johnson, Tunney, Wilde, Walke, Fitzsimmons, Y. Peter Jackson.

Can this be justified? Unless you are looking at impact to the sport then I believe no.

Most posters compared his resumé to Mike Tyson's who Bert has at #100.

Your thoughts?
      Most posters? like who? demsey was 180-200 through out his carrer and many a time fighting opponets over 200 lbs while tyson was at his lowest at 212.

How many KO's did tyson get how many ko's did dempsey get? how many TKO's did tyson get and how many TKO's did dempsey get?

i wouldnt compare the two resumes unless i was pointing out the diffrence between some one who swarms with nothing more then threatening intentions untill he catches the button or the ref steps in and some one who swarms with dynamite in both hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        Most posters? like who? demsey was 180-200 through out his carrer and many a time fighting opponets over 200 lbs while tyson was at his lowest at 212.

How many KO's did tyson get how many ko's did dempsey get? how many TKO's did tyson get and how many TKO's did dempsey get?

i wouldnt compare the two resumes unless i was pointing out the diffrence between some one who swarms with nothing more then threatening intentions untill he catches the button or the ref steps in and some one who swarms with dynamite in both hands.
        Yes but, can it possible be justified ranking him over Langford and Greb?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...dempsey+resume

Comment

in what category ?

Comment

P4P sure.

either of them beat some one 60 lbs heavier then themselfs and then beat some one 58 lbs heavier then them selfs in their next match?

Comment

so like 3 posters think there about the same 10 think tyson had a better title reign while overall i think we have to go with obama on this one

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                Fred Fulton, Jack Sharkey, Willie Meehan, Battling Levinsky, Billy Miske (x2), Georges Carpentier, Tommy Gibbons, Luis Angel Firpo

Those are the top 8 guys. I'll take them over Tyson's top 8 any day. And I'll take Fred Fulton over anyone Tyson beat period.
                plus jess willard and granted mehaan wasnt the best he did beat langford and dempsey once...i can almost see him surviving against tyson to possibly win on points.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 11-05-2010, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Dempsey is not over rated! he was one of the greatest and most excting heavyweights of all time! if only boxing had a jack dempey in the cruserweight and heavyweight ranks now

Comment

I don't rank Heavyweights p4p so..... I personally have Dempsey #4 all-time at Heavyweight and would see anyone leaving him out of the top-10 as UNDERrating him.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X