This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
    Nice one guys, I think I have most of them on video as well.

Foreman - Lyle and Holyfield - Dokes were both classics but not title fights.

Saying that the Foreman - Lyle has to be one of my favourite all time fights ever.
    Technically, Holyfield-Dokes and Foreman-Lyle were title fights. Holyfield-Dokes was for the WBC Continental Americas title, and Foreman-Lyle was for the NABF title.
    Last edited by Silencers; 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by silencers98 View Post
      Technically, Holyfield-Dokes and Foreman-Lyle were a title fight. Holyfield-Dokes was for the WBC Continental Americas title, and Foreman-Lyle was for the NABF title.
      You are right my friend, but I meant world title fights. But I'm not complaining it's all good fun.

Comment

UNDISPUTED

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post

UNDISPUTED

Nuthugger "peeleft:

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Nuthugger "peeleft:

Youre the nuthugger, youre always on my nuts.
            Last edited by Mike Tyson77; 03-31-2008, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• I always find it challenging to come up with lists like these. When you talk about top 10, is it most talented, best career achievements, or is it arranged by if they had a round robin tournament, who would win the most times of the bunch.

Here is my list, which means nothing outside of my personal opinions and what I know of the fighters. I will include a sentence or two explaining why I put who where.

1. Muhammad Ali-I have him number one because he had a complete skill set and won his titles by beating the top heavyweights every time. As far as heavyweights, no one was superior in speed and technique. When his abilities began to fade, he won fights with heart and intangibles.

2. Joe Louis-A strong second, Louis was dominant but his championship defenses weren't short on bums. Can you blame him really, 25 defenses and it's hard to get Lennox Lewis everytime out. He had incredible power, will to win, and had a ton of heart. His chin and foot speed were his downfall.

3. Larry Holmes-A very underrated fighter, others say he was overrated. Holmes wasn't a huge puncher, but had balls galore and a good chin. His movement was exceptional and he could win fights with just his jab. Holmes was the consummate blue collar hard working fighter.

4. Jack Johnson-He fought the guys no one wanted to fight (In those days, they were called black people). Johnson earned his title shot the hard way, by fighting everyone and fighting them again if he had to. He was a cerebral fighter in a time of noncerebral fighting.

5. Rocky Marciano-Tough guy to categorize because he fought in an in between era and fought a lot of old guys in Moore, Walcott, and Charles. He was the only undefeated heavyweight champion, but he relied on his power to bail him out of tight jams where his technique fell short.

6. Lennox Lewis-He has risen steadily on mine and other's lists since his retirement because of what the division has become. He was big, hit hard, could box and defeated everyone who ever beat him in the ring convincingly.

7. George Foreman-Destroyed people even when he glanced them. Foreman was big, tough as nails, and took the title the first time in devastating fashion. He came back and beat a 25 year old Moorer 20 years after losing the title.

8. Sonny Liston-Who knows what would have happened had he gotten his title shot 3-4 years earlier like he should have. Nonetheless, he was a devastating puncher with a solid skill set that included one of the most ruthless jabs in boxing history. His two KOs of Floyd Patterson were fear inspiring to say the least.

9. Jack Dempsey-You have to look at what he did in his time for what it was, which was exciting brutal knockouts unlike anything people had seen before. Of course since then we've seen some pretty good ones too. Dempsey to his detriment had no idea what boxing skill was and it showed in his two fights with Gene Tunney. He could crack like an animal though and it got him through when he needed it to.

10. Evander Holyfield-No one's heart matched his. He gave us great fights and inspiring moments in the ring. He could box and move, like a little Larry Holmes, or he could go to war like he liked to. He wasn't a big puncher but he could wear you down. He had a chin of stone, an excellent left hook counter, and an unsurpassed will to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
                Dempsey to his detriment had no idea what boxing skill was and it showed in his two fights with Gene Tunney.
                ** Fine that you can put together a list, but you shouldn't make up nonsense.

I won't criticise your rankings, they are what they are, but you couldn't be more wrong about your statements on Ali and Dempsey.

Dempsey had the more complete skill set, not Ali. Ali didn't know how to bob and weave, fight inside, body punch. right hook. Seldom threw left hook, few uppercuts. Mostly jabs and straight rights with lots of foot movement in his youth, and just terrible ropa dope punishment in his waning years. Good at blocking some punches, but often only partial blocks and not as well skilled in slipping punches, decent but limited grappler.

Dempsey lost to a prime HOF great after 80+ known pro fights, an estimated100 non sanctioned bouts, and a 3 yr hiatus from the ring. Ali lost to what was essentially an amateur fighter with few skills and a weak chin after 60 fights.

When Ali came back from his 3 yr hiatus after just 29 bouts, he lost to Joe Frazier. Dempsey put up a better fight against Tunney and arguably won the 2nd fight plus knocked out the HOFer and future champ Sharkey in between the Tunney bouts.

Dempsey could've hung on and been a punching bag like Ali ended up and won his title back in the early 30s, but he retired with some dignity and all his health. His skill set and style required reflexes that he no longer possessed in abundance.

Kid, look, it's well known that Ali had an abundance of natural talent, heart, unique styles, and ringmanship, but his skill set was notoriously limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                  When Ali came back from his 3 yr hiatus after just 29 bouts, he lost to Joe Frazier. Dempsey put up a better fight against Tunney and arguably won the 2nd fight plus knocked out the HOFer and future champ Sharkey in between the Tunney bouts.
                  Dempsey lost every round of the first Tunney fight and won at best 2 rounds of the rematch. He was also losing the Sharkey fight.

The Tunney fights were also 10 rounders. Frazier-Ali was even after 10. At the rate Tunney was beating on Jack there's a good likelihood Dempsey gets stopped if it was scheduled for 15. Demsey's face was a mess after only 10 rounds with Tunney.

Nice spin Roberta. Don't get too dizzy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SABBATH View Post
                    Nice spin Roberta. Don't get too dizzy.
                    ** Please do send my best wishes to Sabby Sr and junior.

Hope they are compensating you appropriately as a dedicated minder/writer for junior.

No need to worry about my dizziness mate. Don't have the rock'nroll lifestyle to dizzy up my thoughts, but your thoughtful concern is appreciated, so please do show Sr this post for a raise in said compensation.

In short, excellent job!

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                      ** Please do send my best wishes to Sabby Sr and junior.

Hope they are compensating you appropriately as a dedicated minder/writer for junior.

No need to worry about my dizziness mate. Don't have the rock'nroll lifestyle to dizzy up my thoughts, but your thoughtful concern is appreciated, so please do show Sr this post for a raise in said compensation.

In short, excellent job!
                      Roberta, I used to think it was your sexual orientation that got you out of going to Vietnam to fight for your country, but after that incoherent babble I'm thinking it may have been mental illness.

Comment

Working...
                      X