Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Will Reach 168 1st, Alvarez or Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Arthur Abraham, if we're honest about it, isn't all that much physically bigger than Golovkin or Alvarez, yet he's been able to fashion a pretty solid 7-year run for himself at the weight (with a world title at the weight around his waist to boot).

In the end, it's going to come down to courage and how they weigh out that risk reward.

At all of 26 years old, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is easily looking at another year or so at 154 (if he wanted it) and a good 3-5 year run at 160lbs of prime years. If Alvarez is still fighting for a living at 32/33 years of age, is he really going to want to bother with going into camp and worrying about aggressive dieting (rather than just keeping fit between fights, going into camp for a hard 8 weeks, eating clean but regular meals, and spending the full time simply keeping the skills sharp)? I doubt it.

Golovkin is already 34 year old, has spent basically the last 15 years at 160lbs, and is now facing a time where fighters like "Zurdo" Ramirez (6'2, 26 years old), "Chunky" Degale (6', 30), Badou Jack (6'1, 33), "Mundo" Smith (6'3, 26), Uzcategui (6'3, 26) and others are coming along. Is K2 going to seriously consider putting an aging fighter into a weight class that they've avoided for as long as they've already avoided? I'm not so sure.

Alvarez's move will obviously be to fight the right super middleweight, but I don't see why not
    I say Alvarez would hit 168 in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbears View Post
      Tyson was 5' 10" If i remember correctly he was a heavyweight.
      You can't take one extreme case and apply it to all boxers. Tyson is the poster boy for being a small guy in a division. Saying Alvarez could do that because Tyson did is like the guys who say Golovkin is still a spring chicken because Bernard made it to 52 (yes, people there have actually argued that with me). Tyson is a very unique example and he didn't exactly have it easy as he hit a wall when he got to the 90's era HW's.

Arthur Abraham, if we're honest about it, isn't all that much physically bigger than Golovkin or Alvarez, yet he's been able to fashion a pretty solid 7-year run for himself at the weight (with a world title at the weight around his waist to boot).
      We're talking about the carefully managed Canelo Alvarez. I do not think for a second that DLH would be happy sending him into an Abraham type of career. Canelo is treated like a cash cow. Abraham, for better or for worse, fought all sorts of monsters. Yes, they're not all that far apart in size but guys like Canelo and Golovkin are more livestock than they are fighters. People have investments in them and are going to be careful in where they let them graze.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
        Alvarez is about as big as he's likely to get (without the extra effort needed to get bigger on purpose), and the little bit of video that I saw of him (working his non-injured hand on a bag) he looked no more than 170lbs-175lbs.

I'll bet money that he gets nowhere near 168 in the next 2-3 years (unless Alvarez forces the Ramirez fight or something)

Comment

The only way I see Canelo fighting at 168 is in a few years if he gets a couple losses and needs a money fight (and there happens to be one at 168).

Otherwise, I don't see any incentive for him to compromise himself like that. If he remains a star, you can bet any 168lbers will come down to at least a catch weight.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
            He'll fight at 162 in 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              You can't take one extreme case and apply it to all boxers. Tyson is the poster boy for being a small guy in a division. Saying Alvarez could do that because Tyson did is like the guys who say Golovkin is still a spring chicken because Bernard made it to 52 (yes, people there have actually argued that with me). Tyson is a very unique example and he didn't exactly have it easy as he hit a wall when he got to the 90's era HW's.

We're talking about the carefully managed Canelo Alvarez. I do not think for a second that DLH would be happy sending him into an Abraham type of career. Canelo is treated like a cash cow. Abraham, for better or for worse, fought all sorts of monsters. Yes, they're not all that far apart in size but guys like Canelo and Golovkin are more livestock than they are fighters. People have investments in them and are going to be careful in where they let them graze.
              With Canelo Alvarez having control of his own destiny (especially with his Mexico TV deal and the HBO deal going directly through him and not some other third party), I don't see Alvarez ever putting himself into a Super Six-type situation; Alvarez will grind at middleweight until the right fight opens up at 168, and I see him taking the shot.

Comment

With Canelo Alvarez having control of his own destiny (especially with his Mexico TV deal and the HBO deal going directly through him and not some other third party), I don't see Alvarez ever putting himself into a Super Six-type situation; Alvarez will grind at middleweight until the right fight opens up at 168, and I see him taking the shot.
                If Alvarez were not with GBP still, I am pretty sure Schaeffer would convince Alvarez into what Eubank Jr. is at now

Been wanting Alvarez vs Zurdo for a hot minute

Comment

Holy Christ... Somebody find a way to let this dude suck off Canelo already...

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                    Holy Christ... Somebody find a way to let this dude suck off Canelo already...
                    I heard your girl periscopes with Nelo while sucking u off and singing "Hard Work Is What?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                      I heard your girl periscopes with Nelo while sucking u off and singing "Hard Work Is What?!"
                      Haha what a knee slapper...

Comment

Working...
                      X