Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting and very impressive fact about Harry Greb.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbleeder View Post
    he would lose to all the modern fighters though since he never lifted weights or drank milkshakes after training.

-l-
    lol
    -l-

Comment

Truly incredible

And people say you cant rate him because their is no footage of his fights,looking at the people he beat,i find it impossible not too rate him

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Yeah he beat Tunney in the first of their 5 fights, was robbed in the second(even Tuney acknowledges this.) Tunney easily won the thrid, the foruth was close and Tunney was the obvious winner in the last.

Those are results from accounts from papers of the time and the fighters.
        The second fight was Greb's on all accounts.

NY Morning Telegraph,NY Evening Mail,NY Sun,Philly Ledger, Pittsburgh Post,Pittsburgh mail, NeWark Evening news, NeWark Star Eagle and other papers gave it to Greb.

New York Times ,The NY Evening Telegram , NY American gave it to Tunney.

Bill Muldoon chairman of the NYSAC stated it was a bad decision.
        George Engel Tunneys own corner man gave it to Greb as did Frank Fornoy MSG matchmaker.

I will say for a man with one eye it was a remarkable achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post

NY Morning Telegraph,NY Evening Mail,NY Sun,Philly Ledger, Pittsburgh Post,Pittsburgh mail, NeWark Evening news, NeWark Star Eagle and other papers gave it to Greb.

George Engel Tunneys own corner man gave it to Greb as did Frank Fornoy MSG matchmaker.

Makes you wonder if he had two good eyes than maybe he could have made that series lopsided in his own favor.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Makes you wonder if he had two good eyes than maybe he could have made that series lopsided in his own favor.
            I think Greb was the superior fighter in the series.
            I think even with one eye the series was even really. With two eyes I see 4-1 for Greb may be...
            Last edited by Greatest1942; 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Got to wonder, Tunney was a very very smart fighter if he noticed any slight weakness he would have exploited it big time

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                Got to wonder, Tunney was a very very smart fighter if he noticed any slight weakness he would have exploited it big time
                tunney apparently spotted something the very first fight...Thats why he came back in the ring early after being so severely whipped.

"I discovered through the early part of that fight that I could lick Harry Greb. As each round went by, battered and pummelled from post to post as I was, this discovery gradually became a positive certainty in my mind."-- A Man Must fight , Gene Tunney.

It is one thing spotting a weakness and another exploiting it.

The majority of newspapers still have Greb winning the second fight as are other noteworthy ring observers.

To be fair though Nat saw it as a Tunney win.

Still The majority of people have Greb winning. The Pittsburgh Post Gave Tunney only two rounds and NY Morning Telegraph gave the fight to Greb 10-5. Pretty lop sided. Newark Evening News says , Greb gave Tunney as bad a beating as the first fight, it was one of the worst decisions handed out since the Walker Law.

All Brooklyn papers gave it to Greb. From all the evidence it seems to me that the second fight was Greb's inspite of Tunney apparently spotting a weakness in Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post

Yeah I have a quote from Tunney admitting it was a dubious decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X