Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate the phrase "boxers risk their lives for our entertainment!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing about this thread is if PACT ARDS had it their way this would be another lame excuse to say Floyd doesn't want to fight because be didn't respond to Pacroid's fake zza charity challenge. ...

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
      I'll equate it with men and women in the military. They're always hailed as heroes. In reality, most of them can't find regular jobs. They're heroes to me if they're doing it for free.
      you cant even compare the 2

Comment

Exactly. And how about "health comes first" the mantra of Floyd and his fans. If you value your health to the fullest extent you wouldn't be a boxer.

Comment

Some of you look real stupid on here lol

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
            Exactly. And how about "health comes first" the mantra of Floyd and his fans. If you value your health to the fullest extent you wouldn't be a boxer.
            That would depend on your options in life wouldn't it?

There is a reason affluent people don't box and you don't find boxing gyms in those areas because those people have better options and see boxing not as a rewarding challenge meeting goals but as a serious chance to damage their wage earning potential.

People who take up boxing usually do not have a better opportunity, thus those risks don't seem all that bad even if there is almost no chance of reaching the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by solo20 View Post
              you cant even compare the 2
              Sure you can, if you consider how people often defend the title rather than judge each on a case by case basis. How often do you hear people on this board say: "boxers deserve our respect for risking their lives for our entertainment"? All of the time. This happens with veterans, police officers, etc...all of the time as well. People hear veteran and think hero, before considering what that individual's motivation for enlisting was (maybe they were trying to get a dwi off their record, wanted to kill Muslims, or have student loans forgiven).
              I think granting immediate respect to an entire group of people bc they share the same job title is a dangerous tendency that is woven into American culture.

Comment

Well growing up wanting to be a pro boxer I can tell you a paycheck would have been icing on the cake. I wanted to do it because of the atmosphere of you another guy fighting with thousands of fans watching, and eventually becoming popular and having 100s of thousands of fans.

It is like when I was a kid and didn't know joining the military was a job you get paid in, I thought it was just something you volunteer in and the military takes care of your needs. When I found out you got a salary based on ranking, I was like wow are you serious, so my dream is actually a job and you actually get paid doing what you love?

That's how it is with boxing, baseball, basketball, football. You get paid doing what you love, you're like, "well why not? I was gonna do it anyway, if not to get paid, then as a hobby, might as well get paid."

A big part of athletes dreams is to become popular and get world wide recognition and respect from fans and media. The money is of course something they're going to take, especially if they grew up poor. So yeah, show some respect, at least some respect, because believe it or not, they do fight for our entertainment also. It's not just black and white, they do it for various reasons and fans is one of the reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  No they do not! They do so for a paycheck. Plain and simple! Sure u have some boxers who just have a passion for the sport and want to prove themselves in the ring but even those types of fighters wouldn't be doing so if there wasn't some sort of monetary reward. If tomorrow you were to tell every pro boxer "from this point on you will fight only for bragging rights". See how many would be interested in "entertaining" us fans for free.
                  You're right and you're wrong. They do it for the money and well being of themselves and their family. On the other hand, whether they want to do it for entertainment or not, they essentially are entertainers. Cameras just so happen to be rolling.

Boxing is a professional sport and a business just like every other professional sport

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                    You're right and you're wrong. They do it for the money and well being of themselves and their family. On the other hand, whether they want to do it for entertainment or not, they essentially are entertainers. Cameras just so happen to be rolling.

Boxing is a professional sport and a business just like every other professional sport
                    You say that theyre entertainers yet criticize those who call certain fighters boring. So of their entertainers as u say, shouldn't they be open for criticism if certain viewers don't find them "entertaining"?
                    Last edited by Deevel916; 01-31-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Exactly. Most people who work crazy hours in offices are at a higher risk of getting cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure etc. Its the name of the game as the pay check justifies this, they have the choice of working manually on a farm for less money if health comes first; boxers can quit as well if they aren't willing to fight to the best of their ability because their health comes first.

Comment

Working...
                      X