Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie mustafa Muhammad..How good was he?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie mustafa Muhammad..How good was he?

I know he had about 8 losses wa only champion once I believe but he seemed to be a pretty decent fighter good power decent speed seems to be a good trainer I trained with him for a little while.

But how good was he really were some of he losses backwards how close was the Spinks fight and could he have beat him in a rematch? (never seen the fight)

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
    I know he had about 8 losses wa only champion once I believe but he seemed to be a pretty decent fighter good power decent speed seems to be a good trainer I trained with him for a little while.

But how good was he really were some of he losses backwards how close was the Spinks fight and could he have beat him in a rematch? (never seen the fight)
    The Spinks fight is an interesting story. At that time EMM was on a winning streak and wanted to move up to heavyweight. Even though Spinks was his mandatory challenger, EMM took a fight with legit heavyweight contender Renaldo Snipes in May 1981. EMM came in at a soft 201 lbs and was easily handled in a decision loss. Exactly two months later Muhammad fought Spinks for the 175 lb title. He did well for about five rounds, but tired badly and lost the last ten. If he had skipped the Snipes fight EMM would have probably given Spinks a great fight. And that is no knock against Spinks.
    Last edited by Scott9945; 08-18-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      The Spinks fight is an interesting story. At that time EMM was on a winning streak and wanted to move up to heavyweight. Even though Spinks was his mandatory challenger, EMM too a fight with legit heavyweight contender Renaldo Snipes in May 1981. EMM came in at a soft 201 lbs and was easily handled in a decision loss. Exactly two months later Muhammad fought Spinks for the 175 lb title. He did well for about five rounds, but tired badly and lost the last ten. If he had skipped the Snipes fight EMM would have probably given Spinks a great fight. And that is no knock against Spinks.
      I was going to post something simular to this.

Comment

Eddie was a very talented fighter. There were lots of good light hwts then and he fought most. I don't think he could have ever beaten Spinks, who was ackward, had good skills and was very powerful. The only knock I have on Eddie is that the Spinks rematch was signed and a network TV date (something very precious back then) was reserved. Eddie weighed in 6 or 7lbs heavy and refused to even try to take off the weight

Comment

From the looks of their fight, it was obvious Eddie was talented, and he was tagging Michael early, but of course, Michael was always a slow starter. Always had the tag of being a talented, but lazy fighter who could never get it all together.

Comment

Working...
          X