Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Roberto Duran face the same backlash as Victor Ortiz did for quitting mid fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Lol, I knew someone would say that but at the same time he's made out to be some mythical boxing God that would wipe out this generation. I guarantee u ask anyone on NSB, Duran would beat, Floyd, Pac, Thurman, Maidana etc with 1 arm behind his back...
    just because he quit once a upon a time doesn't mean he wasn't a great fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
      Lol, I knew someone would say that but at the same time he's made out to be some mythical boxing God that would wipe out this generation. I guarantee u ask anyone on NSB, Duran would beat, Floyd, Pac, Thurman, Maidana etc with 1 arm behind his back...
      You have to understand, it's 99 percent likely that Duran does beat these guys, when he was at his best.

And he did beat Leonard the first time, when both were at their best. After the first fight, Duran celebrated his win nonstop, blew up to near 200lbs, had to drop all that for the rematch in months.

Some guys can come back from a loss, other cant. Duran certainly did, one of the best to have ever laced them up.

Comment

You really should see the 30 for 30 documentary where Leonard flew to Panama to clarify the quitting incident. Roberto got so much heat for quitting.

Comment

He got backlash but it was a different time.

If that happened today it would be alot lot worse

Comment

Duran beat Leonard when it mattered, leonard even admitted in that doc he knew AND wanted duran when he wasn't 100%..

Roberto didn't deserve the treatment he got since that fight, in the rematch leonard looked like a goof purposely dancing around putting on a show against a dead sitting duck who just crapped his pants..

Comment

After Leonard - Duran 2, Duran was hated in Panama. He received death threats and needed armed guards when leaving his home. It took two or three years before people started to forgive him. Victor Ortiz knows nothing about backlash compared to what Duran went through.

There is a great 30 for 30 special on Leonard - Duran that is really worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzHJMtOyb4

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                Like a 100000x worse actually. Duran couldn't go back home for a while.
                Really? Wow, that's interesting. We should exile Ortiz than. Lol! But that's the kinda answer I was looking for, I want to see how prior generations felt about their fighters considering their always brought up.

Comment

nobody even cared/noticed when ortiz quit so I'd say roberto got the rougher deal

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                    After Leonard - Duran 2, Duran was hated in Panama. He received death threats and needed armed guards when leaving his home. It took two or three years before people started to forgive him. Victor Ortiz knows nothing about backlash compared to what Duran went through.

There is a great 30 for 30 special on Leonard - Duran that is really worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzHJMtOyb4
                    I will def check it out bro. Thanks!!

Comment

People who knew nothing of Spanish know what No mas means because of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X