Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dont think Gamboa is scared. Top Rank is pressuring him. Your thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
    Actually, Salas walked away. Oner didn't want to cough up a higher % to pay Carlos Gamboa (dad), which takes part in training Yuri. Before the the PDL fight Salas had a certain amount he felt he was going to make. Afterwards he comes to find his purse, pretty much slashed in half.
    Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

So, basically, it was indeed Oner's doing. It just didn't go down the way I imagined it might have. I envisioned Oner pushing Ismael out to make room for the big name, Steward. Instead, Oner essentially dared Salas to leave by slashing his paycheck. No sane person could expect Ismael to stay on after a move like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

So, basically, it was indeed Oner's doing. It just didn't go down the way I imagined it might have. I envisioned Oner pushing Ismael out to make room for the big name, Steward. Instead, Oner essentially dared Salas to leave by slashing his paycheck. No sane person could expect Ismael to stay on after a move like that.
      Yea bro, anytime my man. Salas by no means is holding grudges though. He respects Gamboa and his family and is continuing his career training other talents.

Comment

What's even more f#cked up is that "La Amenaza" (Salas) left Danny Green to come train Gamboa at Oner's request. Salas was making hefty amounts with Green and could have said no, but he saw potential in Gamboa made the business decision to leave Green.

I put this clip up a few years back, never thought I would need to reference it lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l1TrqRme4g
        I guess that's life. We make decisions and have to live by them. I'm glad Ismael is working with Rigo now. Nice to "keep it in the family."

And thanks for the video link. It's very interesting to see how things were not too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
          I dont think he's scared like everyone is saying. He hasn't even signed the contract. This whole thing looks like a ploy to get him to fight. I mean if I was him and I was looking to switch promoters I wouldn't want to jump into a fight right away either. I dont know where I read it but someone on this board said they're trying to get him to sign for an additional 5 years to take the Rios fight. Thats BS. If he doesn't want to be with Top Rank anymore and his contract is expiring, he should have the freedom to choose with whom he wants to be promoted. Dont you think?

Or do you think this vicious, undefeated, very good fighter is shamelessly and publicly fearing and avoiding Rios?
          I don't think Gamboa is scared,but I do think his team is very cautions..Gamboa never fought at 135lb,why would his first fight there be against the best fighter there??Seems more like Gamboa being smart rather then him being scared...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            Gamboa afraid of Rios? Lmao, Gamboa would spark Rios in a frightening fashion............Rockin'
            This This and This

Comment

Actually, Salas walked away. Oner didn't want to cough up a higher % to pay Carlos Gamboa (dad), which takes part in training Yuri. Before the the PDL fight Salas had a certain amount he felt he was going to make. Afterwards he comes to find his purse, pretty much slashed in half.
              Very interesting.

Oner has been called a lot of things, mostly negative, and it would appear the terms 'greedy' and 'currupt' are fairly accurate. I'm fine with promoters and/or managers pushing for certain fights, but the moment they try to get involved with the actual fight preparations is the moment they have to be put in their place. Glad to see Yuri standing his ground on this.

Comment

its was Gamboa who wanted the fight and now he backing out lol
                wtf

Comment

Working...
                X