Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would the 1940s boxing fan think of the modern era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They'd take one look at a championship fight advertisement and go "What is this 12 rounds crap? That's not a championship fight!"

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Joe Louis fought 15 round fights only in title fights, not his entire career. Fighters like Robinson and Louis of the black and white era fought a lot of 10 rounders and just a handful of 15 rounders. Louis fought like about a little less than 50% of his pro career in scheduled 15 rounders, which is a lot. A guy like Robinson, fans say "Man, SRR fought in 15 rounders with 200 pro fights!" Only 24 of his 200 fights were scheduled for 15 rounds, that is 12% of his pro career. Robinson fought in more 10 rounders than anything else.

Anyway, how would a fan from those days react now. Well is this fan also acclimated to technology(internet)? And is able to look up information and video footage of every modern boxer? Or is this fan only allowed to go by newspapers and radio? That changes the whole dynamic of how a fighter and a fighters opposition would be seen by a fan. When you are in the dark about a boxer, it is easy to praise him. When you have a world of information about his next opponent and who he has lost to and all that, it changes everything IMO.
      Haha. I never indicated he was fighting 15 rounders in his pro debut. But who fights 15 rounders these days? Nobody. And when measuring guys u for the pound for pound status, I think they are automatically at a disadvantage. Could they go 15? Probably. However, we will never know.

No, a 1940s fan would not be acclimated to technology since they lived in you know, the 1940s. In those days, the average fan did not know any more than what he had seen which is about all we know. We know what we have seen and then we theorize about a ton of fantasy match-ups and this and that which is fine. I mean, when you really look at a fighter from his fights on video and all that is posted about him on the internet, do you know a lot more than a fan from those days who had seen the fighters on the TV and live in person? If you've seen a fighter a handful of times as they had back then, you knew what you were getting, about as much as we do today. So I don't think their level of information made them any less viable fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
        They'd take one look at a championship fight advertisement and go "What is this 12 rounds crap? That's not a championship fight!"
        Haha. So true. Lots of questions would come up.

"Why is he running? Get him ref!"

"Why haven't they called a no-contest? These bums are just staring at each other."

"How can that guy hug him like that? Ref! What the hell?"

"Why would anybody hang around to hear the decision? What a joke."

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Haha. So true. Lots of questions would come up.

"Why is he running? Get him ref!"

"Why haven't they called a no-contest? These bums are just staring at each other."

"How can that guy hug him like that? Ref! What the hell?"

"Why would anybody hang around to hear the decision? What a joke."
          hahahahaha

they would call our generation beaches and poosies

sorry all Floyd fights i mean

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
            hahahahaha

they would call our generation beaches and poosies

sorry all Floyd fights i mean
            I have no doubt. The head-shaking and laughing and pointing would be hilarious.

Comment

I can't speak for other cats, but if I was from the 40s I would be calling every fighter out I saw that I didn't think could go 15-47 rounds, and be apalled that elite fighters only fight 1-2 times a year, and that so many pros cherry pick, duck, and quit in the ring.

Comment

Yoh know what thats something I've never asked my grandpa who's 91 and is the reason we are all boxing fans in our family. Im honna call him and ask

Comment

Originally posted by twrx View Post
                  Yoh know what thats something I've never asked my grandpa who's 91 and is the reason we are all boxing fans in our family. Im honna call him and ask
                  please, and show him some of Floyd fights if your grandpa vision is still ok if that's not too much to ask

thanks

Comment

They would laugh at Floyds IV use, his crying of the gloves, his whining to the refs, his picking of the refs his catch weights to drain a young fighter, They probably would laugh at Ward's 172, his fight only in Oakland, Pacquaio's catch weight 8 title wins, Cotto's catch weight 155 middleweight title fight and James Toney fat AZZ fighting an MMA fighter only to get pinned in 30 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                      Pep got booed. Leonard got booed. Mayweather got booed. De La Hoya got booed. When you run, the fan feels ripped off which they are. And in the 1940s a featherweight champion might have gotten away with that since no one cared about the featherweights in those days but a heavyweight champion fighting like that would have been booed out of any arena in that era. Mayweather would have never made it far- except maybe at featherweight. A lot of people forget that he had a father and uncle involved in the sport long before he was which clearly gave him an advantage. he did not squander it as Chavez, Jr. and others have by any means, but he did not have to come up the hard way like Marciano and Louis and Ali and so many others.
                      So.....If fighters that "ran" and got booed have always existed, what's the point of your thread again?

Comment

Working...
                      X