Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would the 1940s boxing fan think of the modern era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would the 1940s boxing fan think of the modern era?

Fans who were accustomed to watching Joe Louis score a knock out or go for fifteen full rounds of pugilistic combat would surely look at twelve rounds of Floyd Mayweather for all of four rounds before booing and tossing their peanuts toward the ring.

Boxing always changes as does any form of entertainment. In some ways for the good and some for the worse. Obviously the video quality of fights has gone way up. However, the excitement is not there the way it used to be in those days. Nowadays seeing a knockout period is a big deal.

You don't need knockouts to be a big deal.

Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 09-22-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      Fans who were accustomed to watching Joe Louis score a knock out or go for fifteen full rounds of pugilistic combat would surely look at twelve rounds of Floyd Mayweather for all of four rounds before booing and tossing their peanuts toward the ring.

Boxing always changes as does any form of entertainment. In some ways for the good and some for the worse. Obviously the video quality of fights has gone way up. However, the excitement is not there the way it used to be in those days. Nowadays seeing a knockout period is a big deal.

Comment

People use to call Joe Louis' opponents 'the bum of the month club', he had his haters just like anyone else.
        History will always hold fighters in higher regard, years in to retirement.

Comment

I don't like Lara's style at all, for the most part I can only watch him live from start to finish, live solely because of the element of surprise. That said I don't make threads complaining about his style, I simply move on to other fighters who I find more pleasing to watch.

When one continuously make threads complaining about someone who's boring, all with the sole intention of getting others who may agree to join in on the conversation, it's only a testament to how well liked that particular fighter's style is and it burns from what I can tell.

Comment

Now you take Barrera-McKinney. That was a fight the 1940s fans would have enjoyed from start to finish. So was Corrales-Castillo I. But say Leonard-Duran III? They would have booed until the fight was called a no contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              I don't like Lara's style at all, for the most part I can only watch him live from start to finish, live solely because of the element of surprise. That said I don't make threads complaining about his style, I simply move on to other fighters who I find more pleasing to watch.

When one continuously make threads complaining about someone who's boring, all with the sole intention of getting others who may agree to join in on the conversation, it's only a testament to how well liked that particular fighter's style is and it burns from what I can tell.
              Lara is like a robot. Right jab, straight left, rinse and repeat. Yeah he has the occasional right hook but every time he punches its the same god damn thing.

Range finder/flick jabs
              Jab
              Hard jab
              Straight left
              Right Hook

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post

Agreed, I don't like Floyd's style and don't have him in the top ten ATG, but he is without doubt the greatest defensive boxer of our generation.

Comment

Mayweather's amateur point scoring style doesn't appeal to everyone, but his elite skill level and almost flawless counterpunching has a great many fans. Different strokes and all that, we have gladiators today as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Rubber View Post
                    Agreed, I don't like Floyd's style and don't have him in the top ten ATG, but he is without doubt the greatest defensive boxer of our generation.
                    Sweet pea and roy jones would disagree.

Comment

Working...
                    X